Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube: Joni Mitchell and Jaco Pastorius

Jaco appears around 1:38 into it. I really like this song from her Hejira album.

Dennis Hopper's retirement plan, except Dennis is dead
    Retired and likin' it a lot!
    Regards. Rimmer

my favorite Jaco tune / line... and my favorite Joni tune as well.
    Vote for my Dog
    Please Click to Help care for my Wife's virtual pets

Visit Italia Straps and tell them James sent you.

Comment

Sucked hard

Comment

Sucked hard

Can you elaborate? I'm serious, I'm not trying to start a fight, I just want to know what specific things drew you to the conclusion that it "sucked hard".

I'm really curious about how or why different people like different kinds of music. When I listen to new music and find something I hate, I listen to it again and figure out why. Maybe I'm weird.

Comment

Also, at 1:38? He comes in with Joni's guitar during the intro

I am gonna watch the concert DVD now..the whole thing is ****************ing golden.

Comment

I was shocked when someone played a bunch of Jaco's own music for me and I didn't like any of it. He put on Joni and I immediately say, "Wow, I like that bassist." and my friend remarked, "that's Jaco."

Cool.

I like the stuff he did with Joni. But Jaco's own stuff is too damned abstract-feeling, and cluttered.
            =========
            =========

- 2008 HCBF Band Fest (Chicago) Participant
            - Only slightly more intelligible than Mr. Crow

Comment

Great song Perfessur. Thanks for posting it. This one is my favorite.

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Comment

I saw Jaco live with both Weather Report and Joni Mitchell. Of course the Joni stuff is more palatable for those who aren't that into jazz, despite the jazz leanings of her band at the time it wasn't as hardcore as Weather Report. I liked both shows equally but it was cool seeing Jaco play more "songy" in Joni's band though because his melodic sense had to be more in tune with her. It's a similar effect that Bill Bruford's band had on Jeff Berlin since Bruford's brand of fusion was highly structured yet still left open spots for improvisation, which made these spots more dramatic and interesting IMO.

Comment

Thanks - Jaco had the SOUL man.
                  Kickin' it in the sticks...

Comment

Great vid! Thanks!
                    YUM!!!
                    Tastes just like
                    Genuine Grade "A" Dark Amber
                    Pure Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

Comment

great band also : pat metheny, lyle mays, don alias and michael brecker

the shadows and light album is a must for all the fretless players. great job by mr p
                      “If they act too hip, you know they can’t play ****************.” - Miles

Comment

great band also : pat metheny, lyle mays, don alias and michael brecker

the shadows and light album is a must for all the fretless players. great job by mr p

I think it's a must for bass players in general. ****************ing fantastic album.

Comment

I love listening to Jaco with Joni. Jaco was one of the reasons I got into bass. He (along with the bass player of the band I was in) changed my idea of the instrument, but his work with Joni is what I love the most now.
                          Please be our friend on Facebook. Click here, click like.

Comment

Gotta agree with that, I listen to Hejira and Mingus way more than Heavy Weather or his ST (which I love).

Comment

great stuff - another great talent lost too soon

I never get tired of that clip
                              Basses
                              Peavey Cirrus 4
                              Fender 1977 Precision
                              Fretless SX Jazz
                              Yamaha Motion B 32" scale

Amp
                              Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Comment

Working...