No announcement yet.

Peavey 1820 Bass Cabinet

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 1820 Bass Cabinet

I was wondering who had used these and what they thought. I was looking at some that still have the 2-10" Scorpions and 1-18" Black widow. And I would be running it Biamped. Thanks.

I used to have one. Gigged with it probably >100 times. It was a bit...uhh...vintage sounding. Very loud, though. I got asked to turn down by sound guys and venue owners more times than I can remember.

Also be warned - they are ****************ing big and heavy so it might be worth investing in a Chinook helicopter to carry it around
    It's not lying if what you say would be true if the facts were different.

Earl of the Experimental Theatre Futon

Comment

I may be in the minority in this, but I found the 18" to be lacking. The sound was woofy and indistinct, and it could not handle the low end I was feeding it without complaining noticeably. Call it "farting out" or whatever term you use for bad speaker noises. I had 2 and they both did the same thing when fed an open low A at ~ 200 watts at high volume. This was using the cabinet's built in crossover. The 10s sounded great with the high end they were getting from the crossover, I suspect I would love them as guitar speakers. My reading on Talkbass before I gave up on that forum led me to believe most people love the Black Widow 18" but hate the 10" Scorpions.

I decided to sell the cabinets rather than invest in new 18" drivers for them. They were among the many 4 Ohm cabinets I tried out while searching for the right mates for my 400PS. IIRC I bought them for close to $100 each in incredible condition - a quick wipe with Armor All and they looked new - and sold them for $50 each after trying to get rid of them for months.

Both cabinets were well made, very sturdy construction. As large and as heavy as small houses; I sold them before the economy tanked, or I might be living in one now.

Comment

Outdated low Xmax drivers, crazy heavy. Craaaazy heavy.

Maybe worth it if you have the skills and equipment and want to replaec all the drivers and biap them.

Did I mention, craaaazy heavy?
        Dingwall ABZ 5
        Pedals: GM modded BBE OptoStomp, TC Polytune, FEA Dual Band Distortion
        Markbass SD1200 -> LDS 15/6 fEarful

Comment

Remove cross over and biamp direct. Really helps the behavior of the cab. I have a 3620 I would be willing to sell. Nice unit well taken care of. I decided to update to a more modern light wieght setup. It has its applications however.

Comment

I had one.

Produced a lot of noise, but not accurately. Very large and heavy.
            -

Comment

I have 2 of them in storage. Little harsh at the top, little weak at the bottom, but pretty brutal sounding all around. They weigh a metric **************** ton too.
              Vote for my Dog
              Please Click to Help care for my Wife's virtual pets

Visit Italia Straps and tell them James sent you.

Comment

I have 2 of them in storage. Little harsh at the top, little weak at the bottom, but pretty brutal sounding all around. They weigh a metric **************** ton too.

I wonder how they would sound with the right Neo drivers.

For sure they will be lighter, deeper, and louder.
                "If you don't feel like dancing when you play, neither will anyone else." Bassgeek

Musicman StingRay 5 Fretless H Piezo / G&L L2500 MIA / Reverend Rumblefish 5XL
                Reverend Rumblefish 5L FS PM
                Epiphone Les Paul
                Mesa Boogie 400+ (backup amp)
                Hughes & Kettner Fortress / QSC PLX 1804 / Bergantino NV412
                Eden WT800B / Peavey 215
                Markbass Little Mark II (backup amp)
                Eden Nemesis ENX-260 / Mesa Boogie PH112 / Mesa Boogie PH112

Comment

I have one that I leave at a friends house. I really have no reason to gig with it anymore.

Heavy as hell and my Avatars sound better IMO.
                  Basses
                  Peavey Cirrus 4
                  Fender 1977 Precision
                  Fretless SX Jazz
                  Yamaha Motion B 32" scale

Amp
                  Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Comment

Also be warned - they are ****************ing big and heavy so it might be worth investing in a Chinook helicopter to carry it around

damn i only got access to Apache's
                    GEAR
                    Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom
                    Ibanez SR885
                    Dean Edge 09(now fretless)
                    my interpretation of a frankencaster

Peavey Studio Pro 112
                    Peavey Max 115 Combo
                    Peavey VB-2
                    2x Trace-Elliot 1048 cabs (Eminence Betas from SVT810)

Blue Yeti
                    Line 6 Pod UX2

Comment

In theory, you'd think these cabs can take a ton of power but on the contrary.......uh...nuh!! I did a gig with a backline of a Peavey 3620 (that's 2x18's & 2x10's) and it could barely handle the 200w from a Peavey Mark IV head! Now if you updated the drivers, the thing could probably blow the roof! But the cabs are huge and heavy, quite the opposite of todays footprints!
                      The Funkfather Files
                      My youtube page
                      "I got my groove on baby, let's go" Larry Graham

Comment

kinda muddy , go with a Mesa 18 or Bagend . But often they are just about giving those away so in that case rent a fork lift and take'r home .
                        "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
                        Nikola Tesla

Comment

You could cut a new baffle and stick a modern 15 in there and a pair of nice 10s Or, Carvin's 18 neo driver might work. Not a lot of neo 18s out there for a reasonable price.
                          Dingwall ABZ 5
                          Pedals: GM modded BBE OptoStomp, TC Polytune, FEA Dual Band Distortion
                          Markbass SD1200 -> LDS 15/6 fEarful

Comment

The enclosure volume for the 18" isn't all that much either, so I suspect Peavey had to make some design compromises so the cab didn't end up the size of a semi trailer.

Of course there's the 3620, with two 18's and a pair of tens. I saw one in a MusicGoRound store once, and it was HUGE.

Comment

In theory, you'd think these cabs can take a ton of power but on the contrary.......uh...nuh!! I did a gig with a backline of a Peavey 3620 (that's 2x18's & 2x10's) and it could barely handle the 200w from a Peavey Mark IV head! Now if you updated the drivers, the thing could probably blow the roof! But the cabs are huge and heavy, quite the opposite of todays footprints!

I've put 800 watts into one of those 3620 cabs. The issue isn't the drivers. Its the corssover network. If its not biamped the 10's take a beating and there is alot of bleed from the cross over in general.

I have no idea what your guys are talking about with the lack of low end. Sure sub 60hz performance isn't great. But why are you worrying about bands lower then that anyways ? Its not like any of the modern rigs can truly project with any real volume frequencys that low anyways.

The BW 18's are conservatively rated at 400wattas each. They will take it.

a peavey Mark IV head is not going to properly drive one of these cabs anyways. The 10's will fart out long before you get the 18's moving on a 3620 and I'd suspect the same thing would happen with w a 1820.

As for bottom end defitnition. They are a bit muddy in the 200-400hz region "deleting the cross over cleaned up my rig immensly"compared to newer gear but my gig experience tell me that never makes it to the FOH anyways.

There are older vintage cabs and that have alot of that older vintage sound. But I used to play in a band covering Korn and Primus and we had no problems getting good tone out of the 3620.

YMMV but alot of times users don't understand that the cab crossover network absolutely suck.

You must biamp these cabs for them to work properly. Fullrange operation absolutely makes them sound like dog****************.

Comment

Working...
                              X