Acoustic Bass....is it worth it?

brewgoodbeer

• Members

I teach a guitar class, acoustic, of high school students and sometimes it would just be good to have a bass on hand to put some low end on the stuff we are playing. I was looking at acoustic basses. I have p bass with a small amp, but being able to grab an acoustic out the stand and start playing is a big advantage and convenience. However I have been reading that the ABs are very soft when played unplugged. If I have to plug it in, then there is no point for me. Are there ABs that have a nice solid tone for a class room setting, and which ones should I look into?

Thanks

• Members

There's a reason upright basses have such large bodies and long strings. It takes a lot to make loud bass notes acoustically.

I can usually keep up volume-wise with one acoustic guitar on acoustic bass guitar by using heavy right hand action and a pick. But the tone is very guitar-like. Not a lot of bottom end.

If you want to be able to be heard over/by multiple guitars and have good tone at the same time I doubt you'll be able to do it with an unplugged acoustic bass with a more-or-less guitar sized body.

• Members

Thanks for the response. That is what I thought. I have about 18-25 students at a time. I have an upright and use it often, but I don't like to leave it out in my room. To much can go wrong with that many people and my room is not that big. It only takes two kids, being kids, messing around and your have a big problem.

• Moderators

There's a reason upright basses have such large bodies and long strings. It takes a lot to make loud bass notes acoustically.

I can usually keep up volume-wise with one acoustic guitar on acoustic bass guitar by using heavy right hand action and a pick. But the tone is very guitar-like. Not a lot of bottom end.

If you want to be able to be heard over/by multiple guitars and have good tone at the same time I doubt you'll be able to do it with an unplugged acoustic bass with a more-or-less guitar sized body.

Yup. There's no replacement for displacement. Translation: you have to move air to produce bass at any kind of volume. Twice as loud takes four times as much air. Likewise, twice as low (half as high?) takes four times as much air. A guitar sized body just can't vibrate enough to get the job done.

• Members

I really like my Fender Victor Bailey Acoustic/Electric bass... Seems to have a little better sound carry that others I've tried at GC and local music stores, but still not enough to really be heard over an acoustic guitar in a medium sized room.... I pug it into a small 40 watt combo for small acoustic type gigs. One below was outside in a shopping area with lots of people noise.

IMG_20120505_092945.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I've played in a similar situation to yours and with both a double bass (if this is what you mean by 'acoustic bass') and the 'normal' acoustic bass. I was personally disappointed with both types of bass as I struggled to get any sort of volume with either.

Problem I had with the DB is simply the fact I couldn't get any sort of decent 'loud' sound out of it without bowing and even then I still ended up resorting to amplifying it just to hear myself play. Maybe it's my poor DB technique though...:idk:

With the acoustic bass, ditto the amplification issues, plus the fact I thought the tone to be poor even when amped.

If you're going to use a bass, either use an electric, use bass pedals with a guitar like Alex Lifeson does or if you REALLY want that bassline, a piano.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an electric 4 string bass but would like a 5 stringer. So you are telling me I'm better off with a total electric bass once again. The beauty thing that i can see behind the ac/el bass is I can pick it up and play unplugged whenever, wherever. I am tired opf the crap that is out there these days when it comes to electric basses. I have ran across pot issues, buzz issues where the neck is bolted on, two toned instruments, heavy woods, i just want something simple, easy to pick up and play while watching t.v. or listening to Alex Jones' infowars.com so when the thugs and goons I'll be ready instead of having an electric around my neck to shut off the amp, then put the bass down. This way I can just put the bass down or take it with me and make it look like I'm not there. :):blah::blah::blah::facepalm:

Archived