Plz recommend a bass guitar for my needs/ budget

kerova

• Members

Hello everybody. I'm a guitar player and would like to acquire a bass. I dont live in the US and now I have the chance to buy one there and pay a much cheaper price that at mine, so I wonder if you can help me choose.

I'm obviously tempted by the classics, especially those which were/ are used by the great ones (Rickenbacker to name but one), but I don't want to be led on solely by the sense of prestige.

My budget is up to $ 1200 second hand (1 K would be sweeter), easily findable on ebay. It's going to be use for recording purposes, more specifically Rock and its derivates (no jazz, blues, etc). Also I'll be tracking it direct in, although I might run it into an amp eventually, right now I just don't have one, so I need a good response under these conditions (no amp). Also, and this is not a minor point, I need a good slapper. I understand there could be a compromise there, but this is an important feature for me. I don't mind it being 4 o 5 strings really, right now I care about sound.

I was looking at the Ricks but I hear they aren't slappers so I'll have to pass on that. Another option I was looking at is the Warwick Corvette but I'd love to hear what you can suggest for the purpose I've mentioned so I can make as good as possible a deal!

Thanks and look forward to your comments.

One Love,

Pablo

• Members

You can get Lakland Skyline basses well within your budget, and if you go used you shouldn't have much problem getting a 44-02 or 55-02 with the better electronics. I like Lakland basses quite a bit.

The Warwick Corvette is a very nice bass, but don't Warwicks usually cost quite a bit? Or is that just the Warwicks that I like?

• Members

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, like mine would do the trick. Great for rock and classic thump if you want it, also extremely at home and comfortable slapping and popping until the cows come home! Like the MTD posted earlier, it has active electronics, so it can really do any style with ease (of course, a P-Bass can too, and quite well, just needs EQ tweaks on an amp or recording prgram...) This Schecter can be had for $750 new, which would leave you some extra scratch for a nice DI or an amp!

155998_1723267930853_1982735_n.jpg

• Members

Another vote for the Lakland Skyline series. I own several models, and you can get them used anywhere from $650 - 800 USD. Also agree with the 44-02 for versatility, but there are Skylines that also cover the P and J spectrum very well at those price points. Recommend over other import brands/sub models.

Archived