pole piece - string pretty bad misalignment

bluesboy

• Members

Hi all, I recently put a pair of classic 57's in my Epi LP. They sound awesome, but there's a "problem" that's bothering me. I say problem in quotes, because they sound pretty good. On the bridge pickup, the strings really dont align well with the pole pieces, especially on the e,b,g strings.

I cant believe i didnt notice it as soon as i put them in, im not sure what the problem is, but id like to know how to fix it with putting too many holes in my guitar.

Ive used the same pickup mounting rings int his guitar many times with many different pickups, and never had this problem.

Any advice?

here's a pic

DSCF0808.jpg

• Members

The strings don't have to align with the pole pieces. If it sound good it's fine.

From that pic it almost looks like a F spaced pickup.

Yep... F-spaced.

My Strat bridge pickup has poor alignment. The bridge is USA-spaced, but the pickups are MIJ reissues and the pole spacing is a little narrow.

No difference in tone at all.

• Members

Two 57's, you say? so it's two "neck" pick-up? My LP also has two 57's with the same string spacing and I, like you, don't notice anything soundwise. A 57 + might have the slightly wider string spacing (and a slightly hotter winding). You have got the most sensible answer already from the posts above, though: there is no problem so there's no problem. Don't fix it.

• Members

I don't understand why you guys are saying it's an F-spaced pick up. F-spaced pickups are wider and therefore the high-E pole would not likely be inside of the high-E string.

But I do agree with the others, it's most likely just going to be a bit of a cosmetic issue.

What I'd do from there is to use your ears and balance the relative output each string by raising and lowering the individual adjustable pole pieces a bit. So if for example that high-E had a bit of a lower output due to the misalignment, then raising that pole piece up might compensate for the output. It absolutely doesn't hurt to play around with those adjustments since you can easily return them to base.

• Members

i just mounted the pickup in a different ring, and changed the position of the ring slightly (as best i could). They line up a little better, but are still off a bit. Ill leave it be since it doesnt make a huge difference anyways, and just keep rocking. thanks dudes :thu:

• Members

Hmmm. I'm curious now - this looks to me to be more of an offset issue than a spacing issue, assuming the camera lens was reasonably centered for the pic. Be interesting to see how much difference there is between neck and bridge pups.

• Members

man, that would bug the hell out of me to no end...I can't see how that would make no difference between a pole being centered and one that is nowhere near the string...but hey if it sounds good....I know that minute adjustments in pickup height make drastic changes, I guess changes on the horizontal don't matter much is what the consenus here is.

Archived