audioicon

• Members

Craig, what else do you use on the daily basis? I can think of

Sonar

ACID 6 Pro

Vegas

Reason 4

Ableton Live

Do you use Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools, other major DAWs?

To work on them, not to write a review about them (for reviews you've probably used everything that's capable to record a sound).

• Members

Craig, what else do you use on the daily basis? I can think of

Sonar

ACID 6 Pro

Vegas

Reason 4

Ableton Live

Do you use Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools, other major DAWs?

To work on them, not to write a review about them (for reviews you've probably used everything that's capable to record a sound).

I do a lot of work at a Pro Tools studio, so it's not daily, but it's frequent.

I use Cubase from time to time just because I like the instruments and the Quadrafuzz. :) I should probably learn Nuendo...as I already use Cubase, I guess this would sort of be like being Brazilian and learning to speak Spanish.

On the Mac, I'm pretty much a DP guy although I'm starting to get better at Logic - I find V8 a lot less intimidating.

I think that, plus the programs you mentioned, are pretty much it for DAWs I use on a regular basis.

• Members

It's because for some reason, I'm able to "get" different programs and some are more fluid for certain tasks than others.

I'm totally agree with you.

And there is no ideal DAW just yet....

mmmmmm - which one is for your opinion close to "ideal DAW"? Probably, you can't answer this question (non-disclosure and so on...:))

• Members

I have never used another software, Cakewalk Sonar only!

I used Sonar 4 for years befor upgrading.

Just dont know why it couldn't be a patch.

Guess it's marketting.

Part of the
"Roland Touch."

AI

I guess it isn't a patch because it costs $$$ to rewrite a lot of code. To me, that is like saying, gee, there is a 2009 version of my car now, why don't I get it for free??

But, as to your original post. I upgrade pretty much every year and Sonar is the only program I have that I "automatically" upgrade. I do so because every year there are 2-3 changes that fit my workflow. Lots of new things happen that I don't use..... or use was down the road. For example, putting effects on specific clips..... didn't think that would be helpful, started to do it and now I use it all the time. Since I have been with them since Sonar was Cakewalk 3, I am very comfortable with the interface and what the program does and can't imagine changing. However, there are lots of feature in it I don't want or use..... to me I say "Big Deal, I just don't use them." As (on my machine) Sonar has become faster, easier, most customizable and fits me better, I don't see it as bloated..... but maybe it doesn't work that way on your machine.

I am also a great believer in not buying the "latest and greatest." I take pride in turning out decent photos with an older version of my photo editor (not Photo Shop.) My point and shoot camera is 3 1/2 years old (ancient in camera terms) and I still get good pics from it.... In terms of music software, I use an older version of Sound Forge and a positively ancient version of Finale, because they do what I want. But I use Sonar so much, I appreciate and utilize enough of the changes to make an upgrade worthwhile.

• Members

I'm using SONAR LE 6.2 that came with my AT microphone package.

I've downloaded their full blown Producer demo to try it out. A lot of icing,
but nothing necessary to create great music.

That comes from inside.

I have a TEAC 4 track reel to reel with Simul-Sync I used to use in the early 80s. (I still have it). SONAR LE is FAR more powerful than my TEAC ever was.

I have no desire to use anything else more than what I have. If guys like Lindsey Buckingham can use a 4 track in the mid 70s to write songs that ended up on the Rumours album, what I have is more than enough. It makes me concentrate on the music rather than gimmicks and plug-in hell.
If the song is weak, no plug-in is going to help.

My .02
:)

I agree with that 100%. Bach wrote a few good tunes with a VERY ancient DAW :) While I like my Sonar, soft synths (and the few hardware synths I still have)..... the good stuff is on the inside!!

Archived