Anybody play both a Heritage 535 and an Eastman t185mx?

zookroo1

• Members

I really like the 335 style semihollows. Both the Heritage H535 and the Eastman t185mx (or t186mx) seem like good guitars for the price. The only guitar shop anywhere near me that has carries these guitars specializes in left handed instruments, so I haven't seen them in person. Has anyone had the chance to play these 2? Eventually I'd like to get one for blues and maybe a little bit of classic style rock or even some jazz. I also like some of the Duesenberg guitars, but haven't seen them in person either.

I have no problem with buying used. So a Gibson 335 (or 339, 356...) is also a possibility when the time comes.

Just like to hear any comparisons of these guitars to fuel the GAS, you know? Thanks!

Brian

_______

• Members

Haven't played the Eastman, but I own a Heritage 535 and have played a Duesenberg Starplayer. For reference, the last new Gibson 335 I played in GC Manhattan sounded great - and cost $3,000. Even used, a 335 was going to be a stretch for me, but my teacher suggested Heritage.

I was able to track down a used sunburst 535 with flamed top and back in mint condition for $1,250. I am confident that this guitar is very much the equal if not better than most new Gibson 335s. Thin nitro finish, beautiful woods and finish, moderately sized neck (more 60s than 50s baseball bat), and a great sound. I consistently get compliments from both players and non-players on the guitar.

The best 335-style I have played is the Collings I-35 but it is also $5,000+. Great guitar but I don't have that kind of money.

The Duesenberg Starplayer I wasn't quite as impressed with. Played it within the last year and was pretty excited since I like Mike Campbell alot and I know he plays the brand. The Starplayer has a gritter vibe than a 335, more of a snarling sound in a Gretsch vein. Good for rock/rockabilly type stuff, but it did not have the same ability to get a smooth fat jazz tone or a warm BB King style blues tone. Build quality and finish were fine, frets and setup were okay but not great. Considering it's close to $2,000 in the US, I think most guitars around that price are better made.

A shop near me has Eastmans but I haven't played them yet. I hear good things.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. The vintage sunburst is exactly the guitar I'm after too. Were you able to find it locally or was it an online find? Do you recommend any places to watch for used Heritages to pop up? Thanks!

I got mine off a listing on thegearpage forum emporiums. Luckily, it was local so I contacted the seller and played it in person before buying. Take a look around there at least, there's quite a bit of stuff being sold/traded. There's usually a couple on eBay at a time too, if you feel like doing that. Places like Elderly instruments or Buffalo Bros are online stores that might get a used one in from time to time. Good luck!

Archived