Korean Squiers from the 90s?

PoppyPoo

• Members

Hellloooo, I found a great deal on an old Squier made in 93 in Korea. I've been scouring the net for information but can't really find a reliable source.

How is the quality of early 90s Squiers? I know the MIJ one are of high quality, but I've heard everything from plywood junk to amazing guitar . . . I'm especially curious about the wood and playability because I would treat the guitar as a project guitar i.e., swap electronics, refinish, etc.

Thanks!!

• Members

Well, I've had one 93, one 94 and about 10 89s. Most of them are plywood including both the 93 and 94. But those 89s are outstanding values in my opinion. LOVE the necks on them but the necks on my 93 and 94 are very different. Flatter radius, usually smaller frets.

It's been a while since I've had my 93 pickguard off, but I just put some Duncan SSL-2s in my 94... The original pickguard as those itty bitty sized 500k pots and the cheesiest switch EVER!

If I were on a tight budget, I'd get the guitar, put on one of the cheap GFS pickguards and think about replacing the neck pickup since that's the one I personally use the most and there are lots of good deals on single pickups out there if you watch for a while.

• Members

I sold the 93, but I still have the 94. It's thinner than a normal Fender C neck, but it's closer to than than an Ibanez or Jackson or anything like that. But my 94 is satin finished and I really dig the gloss so I rarely play it.

I'm not knocking it. I got the guitar for $80 and I'd say it's twice the player the current $100 Bullet is. If I was more ambitious (and I didn't have 5 other projects) I'd do some sort of glossy or semi-gloss finish on the neck. I'm sure I'll eventually do just that. I also kind of want to try scalloping the neck - or at least frets 9-21 - since it's my least favorite Fender type neck I own.

• Members

I've got 2 Korean Squier Strats, and they are amongst my favourite Strats.

The one with the plain top pickups, of which I have no idea what they are but they dont seem to hum, and the rosewood neck is a bit heavy, but very sweet. It seems to excel at Gassy cleans to edgy crunch, and the neck pickup is surprisingly crystalline.

The CAR one is a bit lighter and it just nails those classic "Strat" tones.

Both of the necks are outstanding, and ply or not, I;m keeping these!

DSCF1603.jpg

:thu:

• Members

cratz, that sounds pretty sweet. I love Fender C neck profiles, but also always wished they were slightly smaller, so I'm excited!

metalhead, Suh-weeet guitars! I am sooooo looking forward to doing this project over spring break. If the pickups sound good, then I will definitely keep em; however i would have to buy a new bridge pup since this one is SSH. Thanks for the info!

Archived