I'd like to compile a list of low-watt tube amps.

etawful

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

New one that looks interesting:

Vox AC4TV: Adjustable to 4 watts, 1 watt or 1/4 watt for $250.

{censored}. You had to go and post that.

I have a modern GA-5 Les Paul Jr., two early-60s blonde/tweed Gibson Skylarks, and a Blackheart Killer Ant, and I think I want one of those now too.

I'm a sucker for petite blondes.

• Members

Why bother. Buy a DRRI. Going into debt and pissing off your neighbors is totally worth it.

Edit: Ok seriously though I hear good things about those Blackheart amps. But none of these small fry amps are going to make you as happy as the DRRI.

• Members

Why bother. Buy a DRRI. Going into debt and pissing off your neighbors is totally worth it.

Edit: Ok seriously though I hear good things about those Blackheart amps. But none of these small fry amps are going to make you as happy as the DRRI.

At this point in my life, 1 watt of good tube saturation is all I need.

• Members

you know, maybe it's just me but I played through a DR a few weeks ago and I didn't like it one bit. Sounded too bright even with the treble all the way down, there is no midrange control, and in general I just didn't like the sound. I then plugged into the twin reverb that was sitting right next to it and it was sheer tonal nirvana.

And this was not at a store - it was at our rehearsal studio so I was really able to put it through its paces and explore its real character at actual stage levels.

• Members

First shipment of the new AC4 is supposed to be the end of March...other low-watters to consider: Phaez amps, Songworks amps and of course, the ageless Fender Champ in just about any of it's many incarnations...

• Members

I own a bunch;

Fender 57 Deluxe (12 watts)

Fender Vibro Champ (6 watts)

Vox AC15

THD Univalve

Crate VC508 (5 watts)

Orange AD15/12 (there was also an AD5)

Some others that I want!

Blackstar HT-5 and Artisan 15

Vox AC10

Vox AC4

lg_ac4tv_angle.jpg

Cornford Harlequin

• Members

I will also add-STAY AWAY FROM ORIGINAL AC4's...they're notoriously {censored}ty. If money's no object, an original AC10 can usually be found for much cheaper than they used to go for and they're absolutely top-notch(when properly serviced/maintained)...

• Members

I got fed up looking for the right one for me. Therefore, I am building it myself. However, the new Vox AC4TV that is coming soon has me a little intrigued.

Do you like British amps? How 'bout the Orange AD5?

humbucker_2043_3665352

Gary Moore loves his Orange Tiny Terror. He didn't use it on the latest album, but he uses it a lot for small radio interviews and gigs.

• Members

Looking basically at stuff under 15 watts (or that are adjustable to that range like the Egnater Rebel). I'm most interested in something that can handle classic rock and blues at lower volumes.

Any suggestions are welcome (especially if they're reasonably priced).

Fender Blues Jr.

15 W Tube.

~$500

• Members

Do you like British amps? How 'bout the Orange AD5?

humbucker_2043_3665352

Gary Moore loves his Orange Tiny Terror. He didn't use it on the latest album, but he uses it a lot for small radio interviews and gigs.

I would LOVE to try one. The problem is that I just don't get an opportunity to try some of these amps. That is why I am building my own. There is a Vox dealer near me and I have pressured them to the point that I think they will make sure they get one of the AC4TV's. They don't make the AD5 anymore, correct?

• Members

BTW, I am going to install a Variable Voltage Regulator to an amp I have built in an Epi Valve Jr. chassis (basically an Epi with a bunch of mods, but wired point to point, no pcb). That should give me even more control over my tone at low volumes. If that doesn't do the trick I am going to add another gain stage (I am using a 5751 at the moment) and change the power tube from an EL84 to a 6V6. Once I get that mess straightened out, then I will add reverb.

• Members

I looked for a long time for a low watt tube amp that worked for me and owned a number of the ones listed.

I ended up with a Carr Mercury.

carr-02-mercury.jpg

It's expensive, but I finally found a cherry one on Craig's list. I put in NOS Mullard tubes and a Celestion ALNiCo Blue and it's positively tits.

Archived