What are some fave overdrive/distortion pedals that are > a TS but < a Big Muff?

GAS Man

• Members

So I've got a TS9, TS808, Bad Monkey, DOD 250

----------------

Tech 21 XXL, Metal Zone, Big Muff Pi, Real Tube (which is broken down and I'm fine with that condition for now)

So I'm thinking about getting a pedal that's somewhere in between the lighter overdrive and the heavier fuzz zones. Something fairly natural sounding but a bit more ballsy.

What's some of your faves?

• Members

Fulltone OCD

ts-808 from BYOC with this you can remove clipping from the circuit which makes it meaner IMO

Man's Ruin from outlaw supply (essentially same as the BYOC kit he just builds it for you)

Boss BD-2

Danelectro fab tone (not amazing but it has some cool sounds to offer and you can usually pick these up cheap)

• Members

what do you mean by "> a TS but

better than a TS but not as good as a big muff?

:confused:

I have an EHX Double Muff that I use all the time when I play. It's a combo of an OD and Fuzz in one. Think of it as a fuzzy overdrive, as thick or thin as you want it depending on how you tweak the volume on your guitar.

Very versatile and cleans up nicely.

Boss BD-2 is nice too as a general overdrive.

• Members

what do you mean by "> a TS but better than a TS but not as good as a big muff?

:confused:

I meant a harder "more" overdrive distortion tone than the TS (for example) but "less" than the level of distortion of something like a Big Muff.

I sort of drew a line in between my OD/Dist pedals, trying to indicate that I'd like to get something more "on the line" than on either side. Right now I'd say that actually my Bad Monkey is probably the closest to being "in the middle" since it has more gain than the TS series. But I'm still thinking maybe just a bit more OD to the tone.

That BD-2 is, for example, one of the models I'm considering. ;)

• Members

I've got an XXL and Keeley modded TS-9 and Sparkle Drive. I have always put the XXL as the first OD/Dist pedal on my board. Ever tried stacking the XXL with one of the OD pedals, like the TS-9? I NEVER use the XXL solo (blec), but stacked with an OD'd amp or another pedal, it does great things for solos.

PaulS

• Members

I've got an XXL and Keeley modded TS-9 and Sparkle Drive. I have always put the XXL as the first OD/Dist pedal on my board. Ever tried stacking the XXL with one of the OD pedals, like the TS-9? I NEVER use the XXL solo (blec), but stacked with an OD'd amp or another pedal, it does great things for solos.

PaulS

Haven't tried that combo yet, but I will. I've been thinking about pulling out my XXL again anyway. I recently tried my TS808 into the Big Muff Pi and it was really impressive how much it added definition (including for chords) to the BM Pi. So I'll try the combing the TS with the XXL as well. :thu:

• Members

The new Vox Satriani (Satchurator) may fit the bill. It's #1 on my current "pedals to buy" list.

I was just looking at that pedal on line last weekend. It does indeed look promising, and I don't really have that tone in my current arsenal without doing some combinations of pedals and amp gains.

http://www.voxamps.com/pedals/satchurator/

• Members

Well there's a few excellent Distortion pedals out on the market;the Menatone King of the Britains is a great pedal which can get pretty dirty. The Fulltone OCD is a great pedal, as is the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. There really is a {censored}load of pedals out, so just try before you buy.

• Members

Like others I like the OCD and Fulldrive 2.

My favorites are now the Hardwire Tube OD and Valve Distortion pedals.

I can honestly say I like these better than the two mentioned above.

I think for what you're looking for would be the VD, hah VD, :facepalm:

That is the best of both.

You can tone this down to a perfect Blues crunch up to full out kickass.

Before you buy, do yourself a favor and try these out.

I would never lie to a friend.

• Members

I would second the Seymour Duncan Classic Twin Tube. Also, have you tried the russian muff? i just got one the other day after being a long time NYC muff guy. The russian one is much easier to tame and sounds more "compressed" to me, which i really like.

• Members

I'd say +1 on the Fulltone OCD. Give it a try. What amp are you using again?

I've got a bunch of different amps, but lately I've been playing with a Blues Junior. It's OD is nothing particular to write home about, but I've been finding that its somewhat "tweed" tone takes pedals rather well.

Other amps

'65 Twin

Deluxe Reverb

Roland JC120

Vox AD60VTX

Pro Junior

Super Champ XD

POS Marshall 8080VS

Super 112 (always broken down)

Pathfinder 15

G-Dec 30

Ampeg B100R

and a couple micros and and acoustic amp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just an update.

I looked up a few of the pedals suggested here. There seemed to be a consensus on the Fulltone OCD and I gave it quite a few listens from various clips. Sounded good to me. So today I put in an order for one from Sweetwater.

After listening to a few clips, it sounded pretty lush to me.

I gave the Hardwire some serious consideration Bear, but the OCD seemed a bit deeper in the clips. But I valued your thoughts since you owned the comparison there.

[YOUTUBE]tZ3iumBEvCE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]QnPzxj5MJR8[/YOUTUBE]

I think this will be a nice pedal for filling in the middle niche in my overdrive/distortion pedal collection.

Thanks for all the input.

Certainly there are others here I'd like to acquire as well. Still looking for that "money tree". ;)

:wave:

Archived