Rondo destroys SJM

saktr-iyko

• Members

not on the trem models

Sorry about that. I thought you were referring to the stop-tail models. I didn't even notice that they switched the trem ones to tune-o-matics as well.

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about the tune-o-matic? Granted it takes the SJM further away from Jazzmaster specs, but I imagine it's better at keeping the guitar in tune if you use the trem. Those Jazzmaster/Jaguar style bridges can be a bit unstable in that regard.

• Members

Sorry about that. I thought you were referring to the stop-tail models. I didn't even notice that they switched the trem ones to tune-o-matics as well.

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about the tune-o-matic? Granted it takes the SJM further away from Jazzmaster specs, but I imagine it's better at keeping the guitar in tune if you use the trem. Those Jazzmaster/Jaguar style bridges can be a bit unstable in that regard.

I've yet to have any jazzmaster bridged guitar go out of tune from using the trem. They go out of tune from knocking the bridge over with your hand. You can't get that breathy honk on the attack with a tuneomatic, it just sounds like a normal guitar.

• Members

I've yet to have any jazzmaster bridged guitar go out of tune from using the trem. They go out of tune from knocking the bridge over with your hand. You can't get that breathy honk on the attack with a tuneomatic, it just sounds like a normal guitar.

I agree. Gotta love the JM for that. And for just a little subtle vibrato, I've never had it go out of tune.

• Members
sjm62rollerbk5.jpg

I think it's an improvement. A friend of mine brought one of these to me and the bridge was seriously whacked. The holes in the body were way bigger than the bridge posts and the bridge was moving around as a result, ruining intonation. I ended up replacing it with a roller bridge and things were great.

Personally I'd probably retro fit the tunematic with a roller bridge. Other than that I thought it was a great sounding and playing guitar. Kinda gay looking with that butterfly shape, though.

• Members

I think it's an improvement. A friend of mine brought one of these to me and the bridge was seriously whacked.
The holes in the body were way bigger than the bridge posts and the bridge was moving around as a result, ruining intonation.
I ended up replacing it with a roller bridge and things were great.

That'd be part of the design. All it takes is a proper setup.

Archived