Thinline on the line...

Karma1

• Members

I've got major GAS for a guitar I saw at a local music store. It's a Fender Thinline Tele 69 reissue that they say is a special limited edition exclusive to their store. It's white with a white pearl pickguard and maple neck with matching white headstock. I've gone to the Fender website and looked around online and I haven't seen anyone else showing this guitar in this color - they're mostly sunburst and black.

It's a bit expensive - $750, although I could get it for around $690. That seems a bit high for a MIM Tele, but I think that's about what they go for.

I tried a Squire Thinline Tele which was half the price, but I like the Fender much better. The problem is that there is other gear I need much more and the last thing I need is another guitar. I already have a nice dual humbucker Tele, Strat, Les Paul, and more. But I don't have to explain to anyone here about guitar lust. It would be totally out of my budget to buy this now, but I'm trying to see if I can justify it somehow.

Has anyone else seen a Thinline in this combination - hopefully for less $.

It seems like a one of a kind, or at least a very limited edtion and I may not ever find another one like it. The store said they couldn't re-order it. I'm really on the fence about this one - any advice would be appreciated.

• Members

Buy the bitch.

Many special edition Fenders are exclusively made in Mexico. I had a Thinline reissue and loved but could never get used to the 7.25 neck radius so I sold it. I'm still kicking myself for selling it and in retrospect, all I need to do was change the neck.

• Members

Thanks for the comments so far.

I've been doing some more checking online and it seems the guitar is what Fender calls an FSR (Factory Special Run). I read somewhere that there were only 150 of this particular model made - but not positive if that's true or not. Seems like every once in a while Fender will pick a color not in the current line up and do a limited run of them, hence FSR. That was a new one on me, but it looks like they've been doing that for years.

• Members

Sometimes an instrument just speaks to you and logic loses all relevance.

Truer words were never spoken.

It must be so, because I just went out and bought it.

I got a really good deal - $580 + tax.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

• Members

Buy it, knowing that you will have spend some dough on updating the pots and pickups...

I did buy it - and you are right - I can see (or hear) that I will need to do some upgrades - but I've changed the pickups on almost every guitar I own, so no big deal. The neck pickup isn't bad, but the bridge has that typical ice pick in the ear tone with very limited sustain. I'll probably replace it with a Duncan Lil 59 single space humbucker. I've had them before in Tele's and I like them a lot. I might go for some kind of noiseless pickup for the neck. From what I've read, this guitar comes with 1 meg. pots and that most people change them to 250k.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Ahhhh bummer, I own one that's for sale in excellent condition...too bad I could have saved you some green

Thanks for the offer, but this thread is almost a year old - that green is long gone. But good luck selling your guitar. I agree with DaveAronow to post some pics. It's a beautiful guitar and I'm sure someone will fall in love with it like I did when I saw it in the store.

• Members
Ahhhh bummer, I own one that's for sale in excellent condition...too bad I could have saved you some green

I was just gonna mention to the OP that I saw yours posted on that....(other)
...site. Then I noticed the date on his post.......:eek:

57GT:)

Archived