I don't have my Yamaha's anymore, but here are some pictures:

1038595990031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

1038596040031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

BB1500

1110019230031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

Forgot the model

1484906031031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

1484905618031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't have pictures of the AES720. It now belongs to a friend.

All were consistently good instruments.

• Members

That's a neck-through, right?

Yup, with ebony board and MOP/shell inlays. Quite the shredder neck, as well. If you can find a 90's RGX, I think it will be right up your alley. Think Ibanez RG with a rounder neck profile. Those things sounded amazing, and not just for shred. really good clean tones compared to the Ibbys of the day. Anything from a 421 up would fit the bill. Also, try an RGX TT (Ty Tabor) model, if you can find one.

• Members

That's a neck-through, right?

From what I remember -and this was a long time ago- it was a slightly more complex design. Apparently it was a bolt design covered with some metal material, and given a more ergonomic shape. I think the manual mentioned an "aerospace metal alloy" or something like that.

The outside appearance was of a neck-through.

1038596073031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

The only other picture I have shows the inlays, which were a combination of abalone and mother of pearl:

1038596125031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

The was a video a while ago of Santana playing an identical 1421 in a concert. He sounded awful, though :(

I don't know if there's more information about this Yamaha line on the web. I remember reading a few interviews which Rich Lasner, who created the Pacifica line as well as the Weddington line.

Here's a good one where he mentions "very complex neck joints."

EDIT: Forgot to post the link:

http://www.novacron.com/index.php/main/view/rich_lasner_on_the_yamaha_pacifica_series/

I remember Rik Emmett played a 1412, with a figured maple top and tone chambers, and S-S-H configuration. I'm not sure if it's this one, since it looks more red/orange than the one I had in mind.

Maybe he had more than one :)

• Members

From what I remember -and this was a long time ago- it was a slightly more complex design. Apparently it was a bolt design covered with some metal material, and given a more ergonomic shape. I think the manual mentioned an "aerospace metal alloy" or something like that.

The outside appearance was of a neck-through.

1038596073031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

The only other picture I have shows the inlays, which were a combination of abalone and mother of pearl:

1038596125031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

The was a video a while ago of Santana playing an identical 1421 in a concert. He sounded awful, though
:(

I don't know if there's more information about this Yamaha line on the web. I remember reading a few interviews which Rich Lasner, who created the Pacifica line as well as the Weddington line.

Here's a good one where he mentions "very complex neck joints."

EDIT: Forgot to post the link:

http://www.novacron.com/index.php/main/view/rich_lasner_on_the_yamaha_pacifica_series/

I remember Rik Emmett played a 1412, with a figured maple top and tone chambers, and S-S-H configuration. I'm not sure if it's this one, since it looks more red/orange than the one I had in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLz_-q-Oof4

Maybe he had more than one
:)

I've seen 1412s up close, and they sure look like neck through to me on the ones where you could see the wood.

Rik has a "special relationship" with Yamaha, someone in Japan must REALLY like him, because he's a perennial endorsee, even when Dean did their tribute to Rik model a couple of years ago. Good guy, though, I did some clinics with him.

• Members

I think my CPX900 acoustic is made in the new Chinese plant. I would have to check to make sure.

It certainly doesn't sound or play like your average MIC guitar though. I'd like to see an online visual tour of the factory.

I just checked my 2006 CPX900.

It was made at the Tawian factory.

• Members

I've seen 1412s up close, and they sure look like neck through to me on the ones where you could see the wood.

Rik has a "special relationship" with Yamaha, someone in Japan must REALLY like him, because he's a perennial endorsee, even when Dean did their tribute to Rik model a couple of years ago. Good guy, though, I did some clinics with him.

Yes, the alloy and shaped joint would be under the wood. The disadvantage would be in case of a needed repair. Again, this is all from memory, probably from an article, a catalog, or an interview, but I don't know whether this information is 100% accurate.

The manual identifies both the 1412 and 1421 as Neck Through, so now I know that one was not the source. It's interesting that the manual was specific for the 1412 and 1421 models. The Yamaha guitars I got in more recent years came with a generic manual.

• Members

Forgot the model

1484906031031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

1484905618031918988S600x600Q85.jpg

That's a RGX820Z. It has piezo and SD 59 and JB pups.

I played an orange one last year, but it had no acoustic resonance at all, so I am not sure if it was a good one. Maybe I need to re-check again.

Anyway this should be a kick ass guitar.

• Members

If you can find a 90's RGX, I think it will be right up your alley. Think Ibanez RG with a rounder neck profile. Those things sounded amazing, and not just for shred. really good clean tones compared to the Ibbys of the day. Anything from a 421 up would fit the bill. Also, try an RGX TT (Ty Tabor) model, if you can find one.

+1. I have the RGXTT, and it's my fav over my vintage Carvin.

And I hope to get either the RGX421 or the 821 in a couple of months. The former is still new and sealed.

On the side note, when I bought my Ty Tabor, I also were considering a second hand RGX421. But the sales guy in there said it was a {censored}ty guitar comparing to the Ibby RG. I was like "what the hell are you talking about?"

• Members

That's a RGX820Z. It has piezo and SD 59 and JB pups.

I played an orange one last year, but it had no acoustic resonance at all, so I am not sure if it was a good one. Maybe I need to re-check again.

Anyway this should be a kick ass guitar.

Yes!!!!

That's the model. I don't have much experience with piezo equipped guitars, but it sounded like it was usable in a live situation. My amp had a separate piezo input, so that also helped.

It did not feel like the quality of the 1421, but it was good for the money especially considering the piezo.

In terms of feel, I would say that my favorite was the 1421, then the AES720, and then the RGX820Z.

• Members

+1. I have the RGXTT, and it's my fav over my vintage Carvin.

And I hope to get either the RGX421 or the 821 in a couple of months. The former is still new and sealed.

On the side note, when I bought my Ty Tabor, I also were considering a second hand RGX421. But the sales guy in there said it was a shitty guitar comparing to the Ibby RG. I was like "what the hell are you talking about?"

:facepalm: Man, that's the Ibanez endorsee roster talking there. When I was peddling RGX421-621-821 against Ibbys I had the roughest time. Kids read Guitar World, and all they wanted was Ibanez. You could compare and contrast all day long, but it was always "Well, they're asking for Ibanez, why should I switch them to Yamaha?" Ten years later I run into these same people, and they're all like "You know, you were right, what was I thinking?" Yamaha's problem was that they would get panicky and change a line too soon. I would point out in meetings that Fender and Gibson were building on a models 50 years of brand equity, while we're re-introducing yet another line-up.Stick with something for a while, and it might pay off. I'm not saying that they listened to me, but that's what they're doing now.

• Members

Yes, the alloy and shaped joint would be under the wood. The disadvantage would be in case of a needed repair. Again, this is all from memory, probably from an article, a catalog, or an interview, but I don't know whether this information is 100% accurate.

The manual identifies both the 1412 and 1421 as Neck Through, so now I know that one was not the source. It's interesting that the manual was specific for the 1412 and 1421 models. The Yamaha guitars I got in more recent years came with a generic manual.

I think that the Weddingtons had some sort of voodoo neck joint, but they were already on the way out when I signed up, so I never got to play with the high end ones.

• Members

The AES I had was made in Korea, I was really dumb and sold it! Don't ask me why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.....

I've never found a problem with Yamaha quality, they are seriously overlooked instruments, even their budget stuff is hard to beat at the price point they sell at and their mid range and top quality stuff is up there with just about anyone you care to name. I've rarely had a Yamaha through the shop for repair that was in for any deficiency in their build quality. I'd trust Yamaha for overall quality and reliability over just about any other company.

• Members

:facepalm:
Man, that's the Ibanez endorsee roster talking there. When I was peddling RGX421-621-821 against Ibbys I had the roughest time. Kids read Guitar World, and all they wanted was Ibanez. You could compare and contrast all day long, but it was always "Well, they're asking for Ibanez, why should I switch them to Yamaha?" Ten years later I run into these same people, and they're all like "You know, you were right, what was I thinking?" Yamaha's problem was that they would get panicky and change a line too soon. I would point out in meetings that Fender and Gibson were building on a models 50 years of brand equity, while we're re-introducing yet another line-up.Stick with something for a while, and it might pay off. I'm not saying that they listened to me, but that's what they're doing now.

The brand-snob thing is all over the world, but here in Taiwan that problem is over the edge. In the stores, both sales guys and kids looking for stuff, all they have in mind are Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, PRS......... Or anything played by some famous artists. Yamaha? Carvin? Godin? Sorry, they are not famous brands, hence they are not good enough. Yes, that's what many ppl think. Even if you have a high end Yammy there for you to A/B with, they either don't care or come up with laughable comments. My Ty Tabor did not sit in that shop for several years without reason.

But then again, as you just said, it's also the fault of Yamaha for changing product line too quickly and not promoting enough.

Another side-note: Here in Taiwan, The resale value of Jackson/CHarvel is very low comparing to Fender and Ibanez. Dunno if the same thing happens elsewhere.

Archived