What's the best Noise Gate/Suppressor?

streetknight

• Members

I use my Randall amp on a pretty high gain setting and then I boost that with an MXT GT-OD overdrive pedal. The result is a great tone but also VERY noisy and a TON of feedback. I got an ISP Decimator and all my noise and feeback are gone. When I stop playing the amp is dead quiet. When I play the tone sounds great.

• Members

If you are looking at pedal types, the Decimator would be the first choice. The G-String Decimator can go infront of your pedal chain and be routed in your effects loop also. 2nd on the list would be the MXR Smart Gate. I've got one of those and it is a good noise gate overall. I would like to have a G-String though. They are pricey however.

• Members

i don't really think a noise gate will help with feedback, as they're typically used to subdue nasty hum from your signal chain. might do the job, but they also tend to take a bit of tone with them in the process. go try a few of them out if you can

• Members
Thanks guys and to give you an example of what I'm running in to.

I play my Les Paul that has 57' Classics straight into a Peavey Classic 30. On the clean channel above 6 on the volume with the boost enganged, she squeals like crazy.

It may help but if you're just plugging a les paul straight into an amp and getting noise then you've got problems elsewhere. Could be interference from your telly or your computer or your lights or could be grounding problems or something :idk:

But yes, ISP Decimator seems to rank pretty high but NS-2 is the affordable option .

• Members

Thanks guys and to give you an example of what I'm running in to.

I play my Les Paul that has 57' Classics straight into a Peavey Classic 30. On the clean channel above 6 on the volume with the boost enganged, she squeals like crazy.

The boost on you amp is a mid boost and that could be your prob. IMO it sucks anyway, better to boost with an OD.

The mids are where most of the dist is made and lowering them will kill feedback often.Lower them on your amp, and make sure the bass isn't too high either as it increases more than the other freq. with increased volume. Get an eq. Then play loud until it squeels and move the sliders(and maybe lower the gain) until it stops.

Maybe

Obv., pickups are a big part of this. Some pickups are microphonic

Archived