budget 2x p90 with wraparound?

pissdrunx

• Members

I would love to have a dual p90 guitar with a wraparound bridge...classic design favoured(SG,LP,tele...)

what are my options? I`m from Europe so, that means no agiles, xaviers or such domestic brands.

http://cgi.ebay.de/TOP-ALDEN-XG-VX-SPECIAL-E-GITARRE_W0QQitemZ180338496909QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46645QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found this, but its a basswood body and the pointy headstock...not a fan of either.

• Members

dunno, I`m a gibson player, so PRS guitar always seemed "too clean" to me, a bit generic sounding...I wasn`t impressed with high end stuff, playabilty yes, but somewhat dull sounding.

edit: just checked the prices here...around 500

• Members

I'm not sure how low you mean when you say "budget", but these are pretty awesome:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Soapbar-Electric-Guitar?sku=515829

565553.jpg

About 350 Euros.

Yep, that's the one. Saw the thread, thought of that guitar.

Don't worry about your rep, or a guitar's rep, when you're looking around. I think people give PRS hell on here just cause it's fun... My PRS is the nicest guitar I've ever played, love the scale, love the balance, etc. These SEs are great guitars for the money as well, and just great guitars period.

Another option is my current P90 wraparound, which is the Schecter C-1 Special (well, you know, not mine, but one like mine). Great guitar, and you can find them used for a steal.

• Members

dunno, I`m a gibson player, so PRS guitar always seemed "too clean" to me, a bit generic sounding...I wasn`t impressed with high end stuff, playabilty yes, but somewhat dull sounding.

I've never really liked the higher end PRS's, but the SE's that I've played have all been pretty nice. Seems strange to me, I think the pricetag helps the decision, though. :idk:

• Members

I hate to say it too, but I don't care for PRS's either. I think that they are amazing looking, playability is ok (personal opinion), but the frickin pickups are way too sterile sounding.

As I've gotten older and learned more I believe that they are designed that way on purpose so that they are more of a blank canvas and you can possibly tweak the signal chain after it to get what you want...but I like the old standard vintage tones. I want some character and am willing to trade off some versatility to get it.

• Members

I hate to say it too, but I don't care for PRS's either. I think that they are amazing looking, playability is ok (personal opinion), but the frickin pickups are way too sterile sounding.

As I've gotten older and learned more I believe that they are designed that way on purpose so that they are more of a blank canvas and you can possibly tweak the signal chain after it to get what you want...but I like the old standard vintage tones. I want some character and am willing to trade off some versatility to get it.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. They play nicely, but the sound just wasn't there for me.

• Members

ok, so my hunch seems to be spot on, a good player but avarage sound, which leads me to pickup swap...In that case I could get a dual humbucker guitar with wraparound, and swap HBs for HB sized p90s? Is there more options with this kinda setup?

is there a wraparound bridge sistem, that could be put in place of a regular gibson bridge? in this case I could just buy any generic SG or LP copy!

• Members

sorry, I guess I put it wrong, I said before that I want to try one out. I don`t wanna talk {censored} about it until I try it, but it seems that design of PRS guitars is cleaner/more sterile than most, but those I tried were all HB guitars, and frankly I have never owned a p90 guitar, so maybe this one will just blow me away.

• Members

PRS makes a number of different styles of pups all with their own sound. The p90's on this SE are fantastic sounding. You can get many increadible sounds out of this guitar and the break up nice and early if you like that. I beleive it won editors choice overwhelmingly in the guitar world review of guitars around $500

Of course guitar looks and sounds are a very personal choice so do your homework then hit the stores.

Archived