Modding a Les Paul GM sig?

Jkater

• Members

I have a Gary Moore Les Paul that I love/hate very much. And I am debating whether to sell it or modify it to my taste.

What I like about it:

- excellent sustain.

- the installed 57 classics.

- The neck's shape and size ('50's). Also, neck is "straight".

- The flame top is nice

- one piece back.

- I probably subconsiously fancy having the name "Gibson" on the headstock... ;)

What I dislike:

- terrible fretwork: frets stick out at the edge of the board; the top of the frets is not rounded and that is just totally uncomfortable for me to play.

- the lemon burst is not at all my favorite color (just a taste).

- The weight.

- the lack of contour on the back (slab)

- this one is not really a dislike, but I wouldn't mind binding around the top.

- Nitro finish. I'd prefer satin finish at least on the neck.

- neck angle seems a little flawed but I still can set up the action to where I want it and the sustain appears not to be affected (by higher bridge and tailpiece) so it seems like no biggy.

- the previous owner tried his best to "relic" it and actually succeded quite well so it has its share of dings and scratches.

Coincidently, everything I like can't be changed (except the pup's) and most everything I dislike are modifiable. I am not concerned about resale value because , as I said, it's nowhere near being mint, plus I am looking at making it more playable and not more sellable (if that's a word).

Any thoughts? comments? suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

• Members

What I dislike:

- terrible fretwork: frets stick out at the edge of the board; the top of the frets is not rounded and that is just totally uncomfortable for me to play.

Get a file. go crazy. Or, get a better file at stewmac.com

- The weight.

- the lack of contour on the back (slab)

I'd kill somebody if I saw them doing this, but find a really big spindle sander. Or a spokeshave. Make a belly contour. One thing I've thought about is getting a really big drill bit, taking off the pups, and drilling in holes at an angle into the body; pretty much make a hollow body out of it. Or throw a bunch of termites in it, but I'd expect anything removing wood will decrease sustain

- Nitro finish. I'd prefer satin finish at least on the neck.

00000 steel wool.

- neck angle seems a little flawed but I still can set up the action to where I want it and the sustain appears not to be affected (by higher bridge and tailpiece) so it seems like no biggy.

So?

- the previous owner tried his best to "relic" it and actually succeded quite well so it has its share of dings and scratches.

It sounds like you're going to be relicing it enough yourself. Hey, at least you'll have an axe that is one of a kind. You know, like that '59 LP that somebody converted into a left handed double-cutaway. :p

• Members

Originally posted by '56Goldtop

So we're looking at a fretjob, refinish, back contouring, and a possible reset of the neck?

Thanks '56Goldtop (and jrkirkish) for your reply(ies).

Yes, to the first three but I think a reset of the neck would be quite involved and, as it doesn't appear to have much adverse effects, I would just leave it be.

• Members

I'd guess a refinish alone will run $500-$600....$100-$150 for the fretwork....no idea about the contouring.

If you intend to keep the guitar for a long time, it'd be worth the money to make it to your liking. If not, then I'd just sell it and buy something else.

• Members
Originally posted by jrkirkish

I've thought about is getting a really big drill bit, taking off the pups, and drilling in holes at an angle into the body; pretty much make a (edit:semi) hollow body out of it. ... but I'd expect anything removing wood will decrease sustain.

You know what jrkirkish? I'm gonna give this idea serious (but careful) thoughts! I would stay away from the bridge pick-up cavity but small chambers in the upper bouts may be an interesting idea (but if it's a long tenon, I might just leave it alone, though). Did you think of this yourself or do you know an instance where this has been done with good results?

It sounds like you're going to be relicing it enough yourself. Hey, at least you'll have an axe that is one of a kind.

I half-expected the first reply from someone to go like this: NO!!! WHAT!?! DON'T DO IT!!! but my thinking is: this guitar has some really good things going for it and instead of bitching about Gibson's QC issues that my very own guitar suffers from, I might as well take things in my own hands. Les Paul, himself, almost always modded the guitars he got from Gibson. Why not I?

You know, like that '59 LP that somebody converted into a left handed double-cutaway.
:p

:eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't dream of considering doing this to a vintage LP but I doubt very much that this GM sig will ever be a collector's item anytime soon. So as far as I'm concerned it is a musical instrument first and must serve me well in this capacity or it goes.

• Members

If you intend to keep the guitar for a long time, it'd be worth the money to make it to your liking. If not, then I'd just sell it and buy something else.

Yes. And if it turns out the way I would hope for, I'd keep it forever.

The intended result would be a natural finish with WOOD binding around the top, with superb playability (that's certainly achievable) and a somewhat reduced weight with careful weight-reducing measures (the contoured back would already help).

• Members

Can't help you with the wood binding, but if you want a natural finish, you could save yourself hundreds of dollars by doing it yourself.

I was (and am) very impressed with the job you did on your SG and you're actually the one who got me thinking about this idea!

I would do whatever I can do myself without messing up the whole thing (ex: removing the finish...) and trust the rest to competent and experienced people. Like you said, a bit of investment may prove a very good idea if I am going to keep it a long time. An old friend of mine has built three guitars and may be able to help with the wood binding (the tricky part may be the routing).

• Members

Well....the SG was a guitar I paid $50 for back in '86, so I really had nothing to lose if I messed it up. :D

Although it was pretty much a trainwreck already. The finish was trashed, electronics were mostly missing. It had a bridge pickup and no knobs......the pickup wire was soldered directly to the output jack. I don't know what goober had it before me, but he effed it up really good. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

You know what jrkirkish? I'm gonna give this idea serious (but careful) thoughts! I would stay away from the bridge pick-up cavity but small chambers in the upper bouts may be an interesting idea (but if it's a long tenon, I might just leave it alone, though). Did you think of this yourself or do you know an instance where this has been done with good results?

Actually, it was one of those ideas that came to me while typing. The though process went something like this:

Wants to get rid of weight...only way to do that is to remove wood...the only way to do that is to rout some wood out, but the guitar is already built...hey, a blue car...well, he would have to take the wood out from the inside of the guitar... Just take off a pickup and carve the inside away.

If someone gave me an unlimited supply of agiles, I would so totally try this out right now. I can't see this taking out more than a pound of wood, but it would be worth a shot.

• Members

Oh, yeah, and binding... Stewmac sells a dremel attachment to carve away a little notch in the side of your guitar where the binding would go. I'd say as long as you're going to strip it, you might as well spend the $70 or so dollars on the attachment, some nice binding and hide glue. Although I've never done it on any guitars I've built, I'd imagine it would be a fairly straightforward process.

Though if you are going to refinish it, you do have the option of a faux wood binding. Just strip off all the laquer on the guitar, and put some masking tape on the side of the maple. Do your dye/laquer thing, take the mask off and clear coat. I'd say it would look pretty hot.

Websites you must visit:

Stew mac: stewmac.com
Reranch: reranch.com
Musical Instruments Makers Forum: mimf.com

Spend at least 10 hours looking at those websites, and I'm sure you will love your guitar when you're done with it.

• Members

Though if you are going to refinish it, you do have the option of a faux wood binding. Just strip off all the laquer on the guitar, and put some masking tape on the side of the maple. Do your dye/laquer thing, take the mask off and clear coat. I'd say it would look pretty hot.

This could indeed be an option. I've heard that this faux binding

• Members

Well....the SG was a guitar I paid $50 for back in '86, so I really had nothing to lose if I messed it up.
:D

Although it was pretty much a trainwreck already. The finish was trashed, electronics were mostly missing. It had a bridge pickup and no knobs......the pickup wire was soldered directly to the output jack. I don't know what goober had it before me, but he effed it up really good.
:D

what's it look like now?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I posted this in april 2005!

It's strange to read my original post as I don't feel that way anymore about the "dislike" section of the original post. Especially, the "relic" comment is an expression of my being over fussy back then with mint instruments. It's actually in pretty nice shape considering the previous owner gigged it quite a bit. Also the nitro finish on the neck is fine with me. don't even remember that I ever disliked it. :freak:
I have since reconciliated myself with many aspects of this guitar and I wouldn' dream of doing most of what I thought of perpetrating back then (except the fret job and btw, the "top" of the frets are very good: no buzzing, low action but they are squarish and that's not too much to my taste. a good crowning would improve things. The idea of putting nice wood binding on the top and the fretboard (implies a refret) is a pleasant thought but it won't happen. That wouldn't make any $en$e.

Edit: seems like the person who brought this thread back has deleted his/her post.

Archived