Which speaker for Classic 30? Weber Blue Dog or Silver Bell?

guitarman3001

• Members

A DRRI was unplayable for me. Way too shrill and bright and with no mid control I couldn't even begin to start dialing it out.

The DR has a bright cap across the Volume pot, it's an extremely common mod to clip these (or make them switchable) to tame shrillness at lower volumes and when using distortion or fuzz pedals, which often are considered harsh with the bright cap in the circuit.

• Members

I hate to sound mean, but I don't think swapping the speaker out will help you. If every amp you've owned has been too trebly and ice-picky for you, I think you need to look at a few things besides a speaker swap. It's not going to get rid of your problem if the problem carries over to every amp.

1. Your EQ on the amp--mess around and try to make your tone sound really "bassy", and then go from there until it loses the mud and sounds good to you. The Peavey Classics have great out-of-the-box tone, just fool around a bit.

2. Getting an EQ pedal--might cut out the trebliness.

3. Looking at your volume and tone knobs--running them on 10 will get you really trebly in virtually all situations. Turn down a bit on each and fool around with your vol at 7, your tone at 5, etc, without changing EQ on the amp. I know for a fact the Classic will sound different when you twiddle your guitar knobs, because I have one.
:thu:

Like I said, I hate to be mean, but if you can't find a tone you like in a DRRI or a Classic, then I might chalk that up to what signal you're putting in, not the gear. I believe that too many people jump to a "speaker swap" conclusion when they can't solve a tone issue. I think it should be the absolute last thing you look at. Why would so many amp companies put totally substandard speakers in their amps to be test-driven on the sales floor against their competition?

I hear ya. And it's not that I can't find a tone I like. I do like the tones I've been getting from the C30, just need to tone down the highs a little. I do have an EQ on the way but I plan on using it to give me a volume/mid boost for leads. I also have a JAN 5751 on the way that I'm going to put in V1. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it but as you know, the quest for the perfect tone is a neverending one for most players.

• Members

The DR has a bright cap across the Volume pot, it's an extremely common mod to clip these (or make them switchable) to tame shrillness at lower volumes and when using distortion or fuzz pedals, which often are considered harsh with the bright cap in the circuit.

This is true on the Vibrato channel. It's why I only use the "normal" channel, even though it doesn't actually have any reverb. One of these days I'll get around to modding the vibrato channel, but I use a pedal for reverb and don't really miss it right now.

• Members

This is true on the Vibrato channel. It's why I only use the "normal" channel, even though it doesn't actually have any reverb. One of these days I'll get around to modding the vibrato channel, but I use a pedal for reverb and don't really miss it right now.

Yeah, the normal channel was ok but not using the vibrato/reverb channel on a DRRI kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

Archived