N48DGD (New 48 Dollar Guitar Day)

Funderbunk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
How much was shipping and where could I find a similar deal?

PM me

Shipping was just north of $100. High, sure, but I used EMS and had it from Hong Kong to Florida in 3 days. Not too shabby.

I went through these guys as buying agents - www.buyfromtaobao.com

They have links on their page to translate TaoBao into English - it's like eBay, but it's in Chinese, so unless you can read Chinese....

Once you find what you want, you use a form on their page to buy it. They buy it in China, it's shipped to them, then they ship it to you in the US.

They use EMS for shipping, which is fast and trackable, but of course, not exactly cheap for something the size and weight of a guitar.

There is another company that acts as Taobao buying agents that will use Chinese Parcel Post, which would definitely be cheaper - www.taobaoagent.com - but their page is, uh, not quite a polished looking as the place I used.

In the end, I treated it like an experiment and was kinda prepared to lose my cash and get nothing, but in fact the whole thing went smoothly, I got good communication along the way from the people at the website (in pretty decent English, considering) and on the whole, it was a painless transaction. But remember, your mileage may vary.

Archived