Humming Humbucker, is it natural?

dimibetan

• Members

I recently bought a SD JB humbucker. After installing it, it produced a very loud hum on heavy distortion. But when I turn off the TV and florescent light, it becomes quite. I think the humbucker is functional because its hotter than the other 2 SC pickups. The reading of the DC resistance in my multimeter is correct.

Is it natural for a humbucker to hum near appliances and florescent lights?

Thanks

• Members

Me thinks you have a shielding problem. Although with a humbucker it shouldn't be as apparent as with single coils when you have the lights/tv on but it sounds like that's the problem. Perhaps a bad ground as well...you scuffed the surface before soldering, yeah?

• Members

If your not shy towards the thought, try re-soldering the grounds first and if the problem persists then track down weak solder joints and fix them up.

Sorry...

Actually, Im staying in a very small room. My bed is next to the TV and the light is 8 feet above me. (OT, Im working here in Dubai. Rent here is F@#$ing expensive!!!)

It is still natural for a humbucker to hum at this environment?

Anyway, Ill try what you have recommended. If there is still a problem, Ill let a guitar tech check this.

Thanks

• Members
Humbuckers kill the 60hz hum only. Other extraneous interferences are fair game, and those are (as others are touching on in this thread) going to be affected by your shielding, grounding, etc.

So yeah, it's normal (or natural
:)
)

Its the eels I tells ya. ;) (little boosh humour)

I get hum if I face the power supply on my half stack, or am near my ibook/lamp/etc with both JB'sn I have. Don't forget its very high output too. I Just put one in my Squier Tele Custom and im going to sheild it all which apparantly should help alot.

• Members
Didn't found any copper tapes, but found the aluminium version. I think its has the same effect.
Yeah, I think the diffrences are minute, though I found this quote which I think is worth noting

"The best material (insert your choice here) in the world for shielding will not do its job properly without proper and complete termination. Incomplete shielding and poorly terminated shielding will likewise greatly reduce the effectiveness of whatever material you choose to utilize"

Im gona say take a real good look , maybe double up on the sheilding and everything else some above have stated.

• Members

I forgot to add also... when I use a digital multimeter to measure the JB's DC resistance, it higher than the value indicated in the SD website. It was around 17+k, but it should be 16.4k.

Anyway, I'm going to put shielding now.

• Members

I forgot to add also... when I use a digital multimeter to measure the JB's DC resistance, it higher than the value indicated in the SD website. It was around 17+k, but it should be 16.4k.

Anyway, I'm going to put shielding now.

A lot could account for that. Don't know if you have an accurate multimeter, that could be one thing. Did you actually remove the Pickup from the guitar and unwire it first? Was there wire attached and you hooked your probes up to wire that you or someone else solder on? Could be a bad solder. Also it might be that that's within their tolerance, that's only off by about 4%. Do they state a range on their specs?

• Members

A lot could account for that. Don't know if you have an accurate multimeter, that could be one thing. Did you actually remove the Pickup from the guitar and unwire it first? Was there wire attached and you hooked your probes up to wire that you or someone else solder on? Could be a bad solder. Also it might be that that's within their tolerance, that's only off by about 4%. Do they state a range on their specs?

About the resistance, I measured it before I installed the pickups.

This guy, also, in one forum thread have also tried to measure the value, and found higher than the one indicated on the SD website.

Anyway, I finished shielding my guitar. The hum was reduced to minimum.

Thanks

Archived