Why is it so hard to pick a new guitar????

Beckman

• Members

I have money coming. And "permission" to spend up to $1000. I will most likely spend under $500. I have been all over the map with what I want.

Warmoth dual HB soloist with Wilkinson and Fender neck.

Ibanez S

Ibanez RG

Ibanez RG prestige

Gibson LP Studio

Gibson LP VM

SG faded

Yamaha RGX

Washburn MG series

PRS Mcarty (I would have to sell my Epi to get a used one)

PRS SE dual HB with trem

PRS SE P90

Ibanez S Classic

Carvin DC

Carvin Bolt

Carvin CT

The list goes on. I am not asking what I should buy. But, does anyone else have a hard time deciding what to get? I will be getting a used guitar for sure.

• Members

I don't really have that problem. I usually find a sound that I'm going for and if my current line up doesn't cover it I start searching for the guitar that will get me what I'm looking for. I don't really GAS like some guys do. I usually look for gear to fill a need. Right now I have my tonal bases covered but might be doing a weekend jazz gig. So right now I have the GAS for a hollow body. I know the sound I want to achieve so I have a short list of guitars that will work. Now I'll go out and check those candidates out and buy the one that feels right to me.

• Members

It's only hard to pick a guitar if you are just buying one for the sake of buying one.

It's easy when you know what you want.

I want a bunch. But, I can only buy one. That's the problem. Maybe the answer is buying two inexpensive guitars. I don't gig, so I don't need anything too expensive. I guess I don't technically need anything else, I just want something else.

• Members

It comes very natural to me. I see the guitar, I contact the seller, then I buy the guitar. If you are uncertain about what you want at this time, you have to go to GC or a shop somewhere and play as many as possible. I always know when it is "the one", and sometimes it's not even the type I thought I was there for.

• Members

You have to learn how to differentiate GAS from actual desire of ownership...

GAS comes from the emotional reaction to something that looks cool, desireable, different...whatever...

a desire of ownership is more of a "THAT'S THE ONE" reaction...

look over your list again, and toss out any guitar that doesn't immediately strike you as one you'll want to play EVERY DAY.

• Members

I'm terrible. Even given the fact that I tend to stick with SSS Fender Strats, I actually get a great joy out of reading every review and scrutinizing every spec. If i spent as much time practicing on the guitars I have as I do researching into my next buy, I'd be a far better guitarist than I am now. But I'm happy.

• Members
It comes very natural to me. I see the guitar, I contact the seller, then I buy the guitar. If you are uncertain about what you want at this time, you have to go to GC or a shop somewhere and play as many as possible. I always know when it is "the one", and sometimes it's not even the type I thought I was there for.

I have actually done this on many occasions. They are getting sick of me coming in. It is also finding the right used guitar for the right price. I would be happy with any of them. I don't buy guitars too frequently, so getting one that will satisfy me for a long time will be best. Getting a guitar that is dual hum with a trem (preferably not locking) is probably the route I will go. There are some nice guitars to find for under $500 with those specs. I have the Epi to satisfy my LP craving. It sounds pretty good.

Finding "The One" is tough because so many play great to me. This a good problem to have, so I am not complaining. :thu:

• Members
I have actually done this on many occasions. They are getting sick of me coming in. It is also finding the right used guitar for the right price. I would be happy with any of them. I don't buy guitars too frequently, so getting one that will satisfy me for a long time will be best. Getting a guitar that is dual hum with a trem (preferably not locking) is probably the route I will go. There are some nice guitars to find for under $500 with those specs. I have the Epi to satisfy my LP craving. It sounds pretty good.

Finding "The One" is tough because so many play great to me. This a good problem to have, so I am not complaining.
:thu:

I have probably bought and traded about 15 guitars in the last 3 months, which for me is alot. But I have landed on a few that really work. I have two that are "the ones(ish)".

It sounds to me like maybe Carvin CT6 with a Wilky, used.

• Members

I have probably bought and traded about 15 guitars in the last 3 months, which for me is alot. But I have landed on a few that really work. I have two that are "the ones(ish)".

It sounds to me like maybe Carvin CT6 with a Wilky, used.

Yeah, I was watching one on ebay. It did not sell, so I am waiting for it to be reposted lower. It is pretty has the specs I want. I will only buy Carvin used. The prices are much lower.

• Members

Yeah, I was watching one on ebay. It did not sell, so I am waiting for it to be reposted lower. It is pretty has the specs I want. I will only buy Carvin used. The prices are much lower.

Excellent guitars with a custom personality, but man they walk off of the lot hard! I was amazed when I first started watching those used Carvins sell for hundreds, sometimes more than half what they were ordered for originally.

Archived