To whack in a pup or not? (PRS SE)

uz3r

• Members

I bought a PRS SE Custom. Love the thing, it plays and feels awesome and it was a bargain. Through my Marshall practice amp and studio setup (amp modellers) it sounds amazing. But through my live rig (5150II) it sounds a pinch thin (even compared to an average Ibanez which is my main live guitar). Do you think whacking a Duncan JB in the PRS will help? A JB worked for the same problem my other guitarist was having with a different guitar!?

:confused:

• Members

if you love it why not? its not like a prs se has a 100K price tag un modded and a 1K price tag modded. i had the same issue with a les paul and in the end i decided to replace the bridge pick up. i absolutly loved it. now its got 2 new pups new pots and chickenhead knobs. i couldnt be happier with it.

so in all i say go for it. you really have nothing to lose

• Members

I, too, have a PRS SE that I dearly love. The stock pups on it were fine -- they actually had some balls, but weren't particularly versatile. I swapped out the bridge pup for a Seymour Duncan SH-6 and it really brought the guitar up to another level. (I play rock, blues rock, & Gilmour-esque solos)

I would definitely try the swap you are thinking about. If nothing else, it will be fun to have a different sound out of your guitar.

Archived