No More Truss Rod Wrenches with new Gibsons

GAS Man

• Members

I already posted about my new Furbird, but forgot to mention. When I talked with Gibson today about my concern about the bridge pickup seeming pretty weak compared to the neck -

- I also said, "and there was no truss rod wrench in the case".

Well, the kind gentlemen explained that they are no longer shipping truss rod wrenches with their guitars because they were getting loose in the case during shipping and causing damage to the guitar finishes.

Just wanted you to know that Gibson is looking out for you. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Nice to know they care.

Like a piece of friggin tape couldn't have fixed that problem. Why bother to make up a lie? Just say "Our profit margins can be boosted by .01 percent by omitting that expense" and be done with it.

EG

Xactly - I guess with all the bubbles bursting in the economy these days, a 6"x6" square of bubble wrap plus your tape, and stuff it into the cubby, would also be too much of a risk.

Funny, I actually thought before I brought up the issue that they'd offer to ship me one.

What have I been smokin? :p

• Members
I already posted about my new Furbird, but forgot to mention. When I talked with Gibson today about my concern about the bridge pickup seeming pretty weak compared to the neck -

- I also said, "and there was no truss rod wrench in the case".

Well, the kind gentlemen explained that they are no longer shipping truss rod wrenches with their guitars because they were getting loose in the case during shipping and causing damage to the guitar finishes.

Just wanted you to know that Gibson is looking out for you.
;)

Now now now. You know Gibsons sell new for over $600. A $600+ guitar should never, and I mean NEVER, need a truss rod adjustment. No matter the climate where it was built and then eventually shipped to. Just ask that fellow in London that bought a guitar from the States. A few members here agreed with him, too, so it must be true. :lol:

• Members

Interesting. My wrench came in a thick bubble wrap bag (taped) that was in the larger (sealed) plastic bag containing the care guide and such, which was located in the case pocket. Hard to believe many would escape that kind of packaging/location and mess up the finish. IDK.....

• Members

Interesting. My wrench came in a thick bubble wrap bag (taped) that was in the larger (sealed) plastic bag containing the care guide and such, which was located in the case pocket. Hard to believe many would escape that kind of packaging/location and mess up the finish. IDK.....

Ditto. It seems impossible for this to happen.

• Members

Good god, are we really bitching about this? You can get a whole set of allen wrenches for around 5 bucks at Lowes.

:cop:Hey man it's a really cool little tool! It's a "staple" wrench/driver in my box.:)

But at any rate no biggy. I just thought their reasoning behind not including it was a bit B.S.

• Members

Now now now. You know Gibsons sell new for over $600. A $600+ guitar should never, and I mean NEVER, need a truss rod adjustment. No matter the climate where it was built and then eventually shipped to. Just ask that fellow in London that bought a guitar from the States. A few members here agreed with him, too, so it must be true.
:lol:

:lol: Yeah, I find the Gibson I've bought are more likely to need a setup than an Epiphone out of the box.

On this furbird that I just received, there's a significant amount of fret buzz. With just a quick finger tip check, top and bottom of the fretboard, it appears the relief is pretty much completely flat, so the truss rod needs to be loosened a hair. That's a little unusual (I'm more used to them needing a tightening).

So I was looking for that little bugger in the case.

Even though I have others kicking around in cases, I think I ought to buy myself some deluxe Pro model from Stew Mac. Think how grand life would be with a truss rod wrench that you can set and leave on the rod until you've got the adjustment correct, instead of all those little annoying "set - quarter turn, set - quarter turn" motions. Heck, I think I'll even get a holster for it. :idea: "Fastest Truss Rod Adjuster In The West"

Thank you Gibson, you've inspired me to great "things".

:love:

Hex_Truss_Rod_Wrenches_Detail.jpg

You'd think it'd have a bit of a T-handle, no?

• Members

I noticed the "set up tag" :lol::lol: (oh God, let me recompose myself)

says March '09. So this is a pretty dang "factory fresh Gibson". So I guess they just started doing this.

Really, it ain't no biggy for me. But as was stated above, it's more the irony of the matter that is worth posting.

On the other hand, just think if it were your first Gibson. It'd sure be nice to have the tools so you didn't have to start your ownership with a puzzle to solve. Maybe they are indeed hoping you'll take it to a tech and possibly reduce their warranty claims from those that get carried away and end up doing "bad things" :eek:

• Members
Good god, are we really bitching about this? You can get a whole set of allen wrenches for around 5 bucks at Lowes.

Now what are you going to do with allen wrenches on a Gibson truss rod? :cop:

And don't you know that "bitching about minor issues" is an inalienable HCEG right? Man, it's the foundation!

Besides, as said above by me and others, it's the irony, not the "bitch". ;)

• Members

I have a slightly OT truss rod story to share:

Last year I bought an Alvarez MD5000 acoustic on MF's blowout for $999.99 (regular $2700)- some of you might remember that "SDOTD" - it has Brazilian RW back and sides.

DSC01933.jpgDSC01928.jpgDSC01931.jpgDSC01934.jpg

Well it's action was way too high for me.

So I kept turning and turning (don't remember how many times - but not like "a million") and I was getting a little scared because I feel how tight the truss rod was getting :eek:

Well I got it close enough and decided I'd better stop there.

Well after the winter and dropping humidity etc, I picked up the guitar and now the strings are a hair too low. Now I basically know what I'm doing with truss rod adjustments, that it should only need 2 or 3 quarter turns, and I know how to help the neck along with some manual flexing, and I've seen where the neck might take a few days to respond, but this was the first time that I saw one take at least a couple months to respond.

But I'm sure glad it did. I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure glad I'm going to be able to loosen that truss rod back up a hair. I was really afraid that I was either going to run out of adjustment room on that guitar or bust the rod or pop off the fretboard.

And as a side note, that guitar is somewhat "meh". My quest for a boomy yet articulate dreadnaught will continue. I think that's the last time I'll buy an acoustic on line. That's just one instrument that I really think you need to go "brick and mortar". There's just too much variation even with same model of "the big names". But this Alvarez does have a nice articulate sound. But even as the ads said, its bass is "focused". I wanted "flabby with moderate restraint". :lol:

Archived