Guitar Playing Question

savman1

• Members

I know nothing about transposing music, so I thought I could find it here. There is a song i'm playing that's in G C D. I like to tune my guitar down a half step to d# to sing it though. Is there a way I could do the song in standard E and use a capo somewhere?

• Members

Can you sing the song a half step higher so you don't need to adjust the guitar? Not trying to be a jerk, just asking. Half-step doesn't seem like much, but then again I'm not a singer.

Otherwise, playing all the chords a half step lower than written might just mean some inversions if you have to stick to open position chords, or simply playing the bar-chord forms.

• Members

If you're playing a song that is in the key of G, and the chords are G, C, and D, in that order, you are playing the I, IV, and V chords of the scale.

What you can do is to use that knowledge for any other scale, which would be below G, and apply those chords....you can try it in E major...

I IV V

E A B

That is in a key 2 whole steps below the key of G, which should be plenty for you to be able to sing over with no problem.

• Members

I know nothing about transposing music, so I thought I could find it here. There is a song i'm playing that's in G C D. I like to tune my guitar down a half step to d# to sing it though. Is there a way I could do the song in standard E and use a capo somewhere?

You're tuning down a half step. Take a wild guess where you need to put the capo to bring it back up a half step.

• Members

If transposed to E, you would be playing E, A, and B chords.

In order to use capo for these chords, put it on 2nd fret and play D, G, and A chords.

If transposed to Gb (to sing half step down without detuning your guitar), you would be playing Gb, B, and Db chords.

In order to use capo, put it on 4th fret and play D, G, and A chords.

• Members

You're tuning down a half step. Take a wild guess where you need to put the cap to bring it back up a half step.

This is what I was thinking but I thought maybe I wasn't understanding the OP.

And if he's not tied to playing in open chords then dispense with the capo altogether and play in the barred positions a half step up from where they'd be in standard. I used to stay in D# and that's what I did to play most tunes in standard.

• Members

If transposed to E, you would be playing E, A, and B chords.

In order to use capo for these chords, put it on 2nd fret and play D, G, and A chords.

If transposed to Gb (to sing half step down without detuning your guitar), you would be playing Gb, B, and Db chords.

In order to use capo, put it on 4th fret and play D, G, and A chords.

+1000

Archived