Derek Trucks Appreciation Thread

• Members

i really think Derek Trucks has his own thing going,, i consider his one of the best slide players among best slide players.. his touch and tone are amazing.. and his playing style is really cool too.. the way he gets such articulation and speed with just that thumb and fore finger style.. kinda like a bass player or a spanish guitar kinda style.. sorry cant spell flamingo.. ;) just wanted to show some props for D Trucks!!

• Members

Great player and a great album. Derek has developed his own style and has great touch and feeling as scuzzo said. The guy is a real talent, I love what Duane did, but Derek isn't a mere copier of Duane, he's taking slide playing somewhere else.

• Members

Amazing side player. Probley the 2nd best (alive) next to Warren Haynes.

However i really dont care for his tone and hes boring to watch on stage. But I can look past that. I have two of his solos, cant think of the names off hand

• Members

Amazing side player. Probley the 2nd best (alive) next to Warren Haynes.

This is the scary thing. Warren is the other object of my man crush. Imagine what happens when they play together ...

• Members

Derek is awesome. He's not Duane, he's very different and personally I think he's better. But I also like jazz, which Derek is very much rooted in. Duane is more blues-based.

I personally prefer the older Trucks albums. Already Free is good but it's too safe. The new Jimmy Herring album is what the Trucks should have made but didn't ;)

• Members

Derek is awesome. He's not Duane, he's very different and personally I think he's better. But I also like jazz, which Derek is very much rooted in. Duane is more blues-based.

I personally prefer the older Trucks albums. Already Free is good but it's too safe. The new Jimmy Herring album is what the Trucks should have made but didn't
;)

I just decided NOT to go see Jimmy Herring. The decision had nothing to do with desire, but logistics. I wanted to see him, it just didn't click. I am pissed about it.

• Members

Derek is absolutely amazing to me, whether he is playing slide or not. His slide playing is what people tend to gush about, but he is equally good or better without the slide.

And dammit, I think he's got some of the best tone out there.

And watch his right hand in this vid. He's got awesome right hand technique that I would kill for:

[YOUTUBE]5FlOJXL4j6k[/YOUTUBE]

If you don't have the "ABB Live at the Beacon Theater" DVD you should go get it right now.

• Members

This is the scary thing. Warren is the other object of my man crush. Imagine what happens when they play together ...

I caught the ABB Hittin The Note tour,2&1/2+ hours of bliss.

+1 to At The Beacon

• Members

I love them both,but I'd put Sonny Landreth a notch over them on the pole.

I'd put Sonny up against anyone. Prefer Warren over Derek. My tastes lean more to the bluesy side. Derek is TOO precise, almost robot-like. He has amazing technique though. I prefer guys with a little dirt under their fingernails. Neither Sonny, Warren or Derek have the charisma of Skydog.

• Members

I never heard of him, ill have to give him a listen. Although im not side player. I havnt given up on much in my life...but i absolutly blow at slide playing. Maybe ill give it a shot again one day haha

• Members

++1

Landreth is amazing. Trucks plays with his fingers (no pick), so he can pull off some amazing phrasing, but I find his music to lack emotional punch, unlike Duane's playing. Plus, you can fall asleep watching him play.

Archived