e and b string hitting fret

Cwizzy

• Members

hi

the problem is when i'm bending on the e or b string higher than 16 the string hit the 21 fret an either dies or sounds like i'm pressing the 22. fret what is my problem and what can i do about it??

//Ilfeldt

• Members

my bad i'm just little impatient by nature:D

is a fret level something i can do myself or do i need to take it to a shop?

btw the string height is about 1,44mm at 12 fret and a only a little lower at 21

• Members

ok thank. it's an gibson sg so i think i'll take it to a shop. are there anything waranty for these kind of things it's only one and a half years old??

//Ilfeldt

If you are the original owner, and you purchased it from an authorized dealer, then you should be covered by the warranty:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/GibsonUSAWarranty/

Did you ever register the warranty with Gibson?

• Members

If you have some basic tools and are handy with them you can do it yourself.

You can check for the high fret with a short straightedge that spans just three frets. If it rocks, you've found the high one. If you don't have a straightedge, make one by cutting up and old credit card.

You can make a "file" with a piece of hardwood about an inch wide (20-30 mm?) by 6-8" long and some very fine 400 grit sandpaper. Make sure the piece of wood is perfectly straight, glue the sandpaper to the wood. You can run this across the frets side to side, very lightly, following the curvature of the frets until you've knocked down the high fret. You can mark the tops of the frets with a sharpie so you know when you've leveled them.

You'll need to crown the tops of the frets you've leveled. You can use small hobbie files or just use the sanding block you made to round the edges, then roll up a piece of sand paper and run it up and down the length of the fretboard of that area... that will just hit the edges, rounding them.

This is a quick and very dirty way of doing it, and I wouldn't recommend it for an entire fretboard, but for just a couple of frets you can manage quite nicely. Before getting the "correct tools" I was able to get my guitars to play quite nicely with these crude, makeshift tools.

• Members

Plek it and be happy forever (or until a refret) hmm you may have to visit Sweden though...

GuitarLabs Scandinavia AB

Contact person: Hans, Ricky & Ulf

Arvid Moernes vaeg 37

168 46 Bromma

Sweden

Phone: +46 8 644 94 80

Archived