Cracks in nitro finish?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I was asking someone about a used strat he was selling. The guy says it's pretty much new and in mint condition except for a few small cracks in the nitro that won't show up in photographs. He says it's a result of wood expanding and stuff... Is a thin skin finish really that easy to crack?

• Members

I was asking someone about a used strat he was selling. The guy says it's pretty much new and in mint condition except for a few small cracks in the nitro that won't show up in photographs. He says it's a result of wood expanding and stuff...
Is a thin skin finish really that easy to crack?

Yes...yes it is! :lol:

If there are any serious humidity or temperature changes (like taking the guitar from a warm house into the freezing winter air for a trip, then back into another warm house) the finish will get hairline cracks. It's called checking. A lot of people do it on purpose when "relicing" a guitar.

• Members

Alot of the non MIM series are finished in "thin skin" nitro over a poly finish.

The real question to ask is "How thin is thin skin? Is it 1mm, 2mm, .5mm?"

Honestly though, yes wood continues to move after it has been made into an instrument. The only instruments that will not eventually "check" with age are the ones finished in stains and oils - not paints.

Is it easy to crack? Yes and no. A good hard bump will crack any finish, and if anything - nitro is softer than poly. BUT it's one of those things guitar players overlook in the face of wants of any given instrument.

Your seller isn't lying, but it's probably a sign that the guitar is higher end for Fender.

• Members

the fender roadworns we have in a work came in with no checking, with in a month they were lightly checked. this is most likly because they were shipped from Mexico where it is humid and they came to us in the dryness of winter. But with the roadworns it just makes them look better.

I personaly like checking, but i also kinda like the whole reliced look, so long as your not fooling yourself.

You may be seeing a NRGD(New Reliced Guitar Day) soon

• Members

I have two VERY thin skinned nitro guitars and yeah the finish is really delicate. you can see how thin here...

DSC05364.jpg

small bumps will most times do something to the finish. The strat I have has some hair line cracks/checking whatever....I think it looks totally cool.

Archived