Throaty treble pickup, should I move the bridge up?

ateah

• Members

I've been meaning to get around to replacing the bridge on my vintage ampeg's old rusted up bridge, and I've been debating on moving the bridge up closer to the pickguard.

n25500265_35750193_7259.jpg

would this improve the treble response of the bridge pickup and keep it from being so throaty/bassy?

also, what are some good makers for a bigsby bridge?

• Members

yeah i would imagine that would work. I bought a Bigsby B-70 and Schaller Roller bridge from Stewmac a few years ago for something like 120 bucks.

I'm sure you could find a Bigsby b-50 and the same roller bridge for around the same. Thats what I'd do. and move the bridge closer to the bridge pickup

• Members

Won't moving the bridge throw off the scale length and make proper intonation impossible?

What I mean is the proper distance between the frets would now be off with the new scale length, no? I really don't think you can move the bridge, it's in that specific location for a reason.

• Members
Won't moving the bridge throw off the scale length and make proper intonation impossible? The distance between the frets would now be off with the new scale length, no?

good point. I just had a whole {censored}ing thread about that :facepalm:

Archived