Songs with 2 guitar parts on album...

Poker99

• Members

Hi

I'm the only guitarist in the band, but once in a while I like to make some short leads over another guitar part in the studio. Problem is I don't know what I should do live to reproduce them...

What solutions do you guys use? Ask your bassist to use distorsion during your lead parts? Force your singer to learn to play guitar? Use a backup track?

:confused:

• Members

Check into some loop pedals.. a decent low end one is the Boss rc-20.. you can prob get it used for 200 or so. It's pretty cool. You can lay several tracks and play over them all on the fly. You can even put vox on it.. a guy at an open mic I used to go to used to do a vocal beat box thing and then play over that.

You can also reverse a guitar riff which can create some interesting loops.

The only down side is that it gets muddy after 3 or 4 tracks and the new tracks have higher volume than the old tracks.. that might have just been the one I had though.

make sure and get the rc-20 and not the rc-2.. the rc-2 is handy for practicing but doing anything on the fly with that one is complicated. The rc-20 is fluid

• Members
Hi

I'm the only guitarist in the band, but once in a while I like to make some short leads over another guitar part in the studio. Problem is I don't know what I should do live to reproduce them...

What solutions do you guys use? Ask your bassist to use distorsion during your lead parts? Force your singer to learn to play guitar? Use a backup track?

:confused:

I was in a band for years and I'd just instruct the bassist to cover the main rythym and jam over his (my) part.
It's way cheaper than buying this or that: just use what I had to work with.
In the studio I simply record the first guitar and then seconde, third and even fourth guitar parts.
As a three piece you have to work around your limitations or just hire a seconde guitarist.
I like to save money and buying looper pedals just seemed too much money to spend and too much bother with all the stomping and the timeing and all.
Although I have seen some cool looper pedal work with solo artists who just nailed the effect of which you are relating.
I'm just a low tech guy I guess.
thanks for lettin me share.
TD

• Members

Loop pedals are good, but if you want to really have fun you could make a live arrangement, depending on style. Probably won't work too well for metal or hard rock, but for acoustic & blues-based styles it's a great exercise. Cheaper than a looper, too.

• Members

I dont think it ever really works live, unless you use another guitarist.

Looping and {censored} is great, but overkill for normal 2 guitar solos...too much hassle, + you'd have to loop the first part by recording it solo, and unless you recorded with this in mind it wouldn't sound the same.

What I have found with experience is to work out the dominant "hooks" of the solo and play them..you can sometimes work out little parts that nearly duplicate the twin stuff, but the "hooks" are the important thing.

Tony Iommi used to have 2 solos going on a lot of Sabbaths early stuff...he never bothered live!.

:thu:

Archived