The place, rural Ontario...nowhere within 25 miles to buy strings, so...

JohnnyR

• Members

Since the wife and I have a small retail store (antiques, collectibles, linens etc.) that is now becoming one of the "must see destinations" in a high end cottage area, I'm seriously thinking of taking on a line of strings, picks and a few accessories to service the area. I have used D'Addario forever and am leaning toward their stuff but I'm curious what other brands I might consider.

I need to cover a full spectrum from guitar to bass, banjo, violin and I need to get caught up with what people will want and keep the price very reasonable given the {censored}ty economic times we have right now. I suppose this probably should have been a "what kind of strings do you use" poll but gimme' some ideas to see what is the most popular. I hate having to go myself or to send others off to another town to find musical needs so I might as well sell them here. Thanks for your help folks I would really appreciate your opinions.

J.R.

• Members

Good idea. I don't think it really matters what you carry. If people need it, they will buy it. I know there is a gas station in Wasaga beach that sells some guitar stuff. Strings, picks, cleaning stuff and even a few cases. I know that in the past when visting my friend there, it's been great to have near by. Even more so on a sunday or at 10pm.

• Members

Since the wife and I have a small retail store (antiques, collectibles, linens etc.) that is now becoming one of the "must see destinations" in a high end cottage area, I'm seriously thinking of taking on a line of strings, picks and a few accessories to service the area. I have used D'Addario forever and am leaning toward their stuff but I'm curious what other brands I might consider.

I need to cover a full spectrum from guitar to bass, banjo, violin and I need to get caught up with what people will want and keep the price very reasonable given the {censored}ty economic times we have right now. I suppose this probably should have been a "what kind of strings do you use" poll but gimme' some ideas to see what is the most popular. I hate having to go myself or to send others off to another town to find musical needs so I might as well sell them here. Thanks for your help folks I would really appreciate your opinions.

J.R.

I love in Windsor ontario and there is a guy who makes strings here and they are "cry ho genically frozen" or some {censored} but they're frozen in super cold temperatures and it makes them last longer and I haven't personally used them but my friends use them and say they're great... you might find em if you google search them.

• Members

http://www.daddariocanada.com/

Plus, if you start selling them, you can get cheap danelectros!

Seriously, it's probably the easiest way to go. They've got a huge range of strings and accessories, meaning you can order anything you need for the local mando players etc, and anyone passing through to the cottage who might need a spare set isn't likely to turn up their nose at them.

They're kind of the default string. Everyone knows them, and even if you don't prefer them, you know what to expect. I put elixers on my acoustics as a rule, but failing that, I'll grab a set of D'addarios.

's a nice town, Markdale. Always liked that area.

• Members
Since the wife and I have a small retail store (antiques, collectibles, linens etc.) that is now becoming one of the "must see destinations" in a
high end cottage area,

J.R.

:eek::eek::eek:

Speaking of high end cottages:

STEVEN Rattner, the auto industry adviser to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, is flagrantly thumbing his nose at President Obama's call for Americans to make sacrifices in the collapsing economy.

Rattner is moving full-speed ahead with construction of a lavish, $15 million summer home in the Lambert's Cove area of West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard -- a palatial mansion he's had in the works since 2006. It's caused a furor among wealthy Vineyard residents, who've called the planned 15,500-square-foot project far too big and gaudy, The Post's Mark DeCambre reports.

Nonetheless, the town's Land Use Planning Committee greenlighted the scheme, which involves transporting an existing building to an adjoining larger property on Obed Daggett Road. Adding to the controversy, the mansion is close to a sacred Native American burial ground protected by a permanent preservation restriction, according to the Martha's Vineyard Times.

Rattner has been tough on banks and hedge-fund managers unwilling to take haircuts on stakes they own in failing car companies. Yet Rattner, his wife, Maureen White, the former national finance chair for the Democratic Party, and their four children enjoy plush lifestyles because of the success of his Quadrangle Group hedge fund, which manages Mayor Bloomberg's $16 billion fortune. His fund has been under scrutiny in a pension scandal being probed by state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

Rattner, 56, who earned more than $100 million from Quadrangle and lives in a huge apartment on Fifth Avenue, donated millions to the campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry. But when it became apparent that Obama's presidential run had legs, he hitched his wagon to him. A representative for Rattner in Washington had no comment.

• Members
:eek:

STEVEN Rattner, the auto industry adviser to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, is flagrantly thumbing his nose at President Obama's call for Americans to make sacrifices in the collapsing economy.

Rattner is moving full-speed ahead with construction of a lavish, $15 million summer home in the Lambert's Cove area of West Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard -- a palatial mansion he's had in the works since 2006. It's caused a furor among wealthy Vineyard residents, who've called the planned 15,500-square-foot project far too big and gaudy, The Post's Mark DeCambre reports.

Nonetheless, the town's Land Use Planning Committee greenlighted the scheme, which involves transporting an existing building to an adjoining larger property on Obed Daggett Road. Adding to the controversy, the mansion is close to a sacred Native American burial ground protected by a permanent preservation restriction, according to the Martha's Vineyard Times.

Rattner has been tough on banks and hedge-fund managers unwilling to take haircuts on stakes they own in failing car companies. Yet Rattner, his wife, Maureen White, the former national finance chair for the Democratic Party, and their four children enjoy plush lifestyles because of the success of his Quadrangle Group hedge fund, which manages Mayor Bloomberg's $16 billion fortune. His fund has been under scrutiny in a pension scandal being probed by state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.

Rattner, 56, who earned more than $100 million from Quadrangle and lives in a huge apartment on Fifth Avenue, donated millions to the campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry. But when it became apparent that Obama's presidential run had legs, he hitched his wagon to him. A representative for Rattner in Washington had no comment.

...and your point is, regarding selling guitar strings?

• Members

Thanks very much for the opinions guys. I figured I was on the right track going with D'addario since they have been my personal choice for years and are one of the most commonly found brands but I've been kind of out of touch with what's new and popular today so I had to ask. Now for some phone calls to the distributor to see what a good selection will co$t me. Wholesale Danos too...hmmm:rawk:

J.R.

• Members

Classic!

• Members

The fact that you have ANY standard brand/gauge will be considered a godsend by visiting and resident players in your vicinity. Picks and patch cables are a great idea, and maybe a few gigbags.

D'Adds are perfectly acceptable for electric.

Martins for acoustic, maybe.

Archived