Opinion on ESP LTD EC-50

Hillshire9

• Members

The lower-end LTDs that I have owned or played have been great guitars. I have played sub-$300 LTDs at gigs and never had a problem.

For a beginner, they are awesome. For more seasoned players a pickup swap and probably swapping the pots will bring them up to speed. The extra-jumbo frets make playing really easy.

• Members

Singer in my last band owned two. He liked em. But swapped the pickups after a few years and some experience.

Personally, I've had to play them in a pinch, and thought they were okay. No real complaints, but even a JB/59 didn't do much to liven them up. Great for intermediate/beginner players and the first few years out of the gates in bands. They're cheap enough to not really worry about getting knocked around but hold up over time.

• Members

I have one (black with black hardware). The EC50 is a pretty good deal for the money. It has very good intonation, nice sustain and are easy to play, plus it has 24 frets. It's a very decent guitar. It's sturdy and well constructed the only problem is that it's heavy. I changed the bridge humbucker for a seymour duncan screaming demon, now is a complete creature. I'm very happy with it.

• Members

I gave one to my (adult) son for Christmas '08. Metallic red, absolutely beautiful. When I got it home from the store I did a quick setup... actually ended up being more of a "check the existing setup" since the intonation was right on and the action was medium low. No buzzing, played quite nicely.

That said, the stock pickups dirty up early on. The only way I was able to get clean tones was to be real light on the picking. Not a bad thing, really, just the way it is. My son loves it, I like to play it too. :D

I would buy it again. :thu:

• Members

Haven't given a go on the EC's, but I'm picking up an MH-250NT tommorrow. :)

Extremely good guitars, rivals lots of more expensive guitars IMO. Played some Prestige Ibbys + Jems the LTD felt the best in my hands. I think once you play it, go for it if you like it.

Archived