Noisy volume pot.

Soeru

• Members

One of my guitar's single volume pot makes a lot of noise when I start turning down the volume pot for a cleaner sound, it's like a radio static noise but it's only audible(but quite loud) when the volume isn't at 0% or 100%. Having the volume on max or on 0 gives me no noise at all, but anywhere in between sounds like I'm dialing in a radio station.

The pot is a cts 500k with push-pull config for parallel humbucking, and the pickups in the guitar are a dimarzio steve's special and a single coil. The cavity is covered with copper tape too.

Maybe I did a lousy soldering job? What can I do to fix this?

• Members

Have you tried contact cleaner?

Not sure what that is, this has been happening ever since I soldered it though, several weeks ago. Didn't happen when I had a different pickup in there(also soldered by myself).

Could I have damaged the pot by heating it up too much?

• Members

Clean it.

Go to radio shack and get some contact cleaner (NOT the same stuff as Contact Lense Cleaner, btw). With the guitar disconnected from an amp, spray it into the open area near the three lugs. Work the pot a bit, let it dry it out, then try it plugged in.

• Members

Not sure what that is, this has been happening ever since I soldered it though, several weeks ago. Didn't happen when I had a different pickup in there(also soldered by myself).

Possible, but unlikely. I would try contact cleaner before replacing the pot. :thu: As the other dude said, you can get it at RS, or Wally World, in the electronics dept. It's in a spray can.

• Members

What is the generic name for contact cleaner? (as in, what chemical is it?) No RS's around here. Does it just clean the rust/corrosion off the soldering points or something? Because they look quite clean and shiny.

• Members

Not sure what chemical it is. Can't even think of the name :facepalm: I don't have any lying around at the moment. BUT it should be in the elec. dept. near the 'accessories' for computers, and a/v stuff. Usually, WM carries it in a white spray can. I think it's some sort of alcohol? Cause it doesn't leave anything feeling wet.

• Members

Thanks I'll go check my local electronics shops for it.

yup good stuff. your pots will even FEEL smoother, and turn with less effort once you clean'em

Do you spray it directly into the shaft of the pot so it gets into the gear/mechanism in it?

• Members

The contact cleaning I use can be bought at the local Rat shack. Contains Isopropanol, isobutane, and propane. Who wants a drink?

But seriously, any somewhat well stocked electronic store should have some. Try that first, if it's still scratchy check your wiring. Easy fix either way.

• Members

You likely don't have a good solder joint. Did you clean the surface, and use flux?

How To Solder - Step by Step

If the volume pot 'scratches' as you make adjustments, it would need the contact cleaner. If it is adding noise to the signal, I suspect the problem is a solder joint somewhere.

Archived