Samick Greg Bennett MB-3 : Opinions

dilin

• Members

Hi,

Just need your expert advice on this. I'm shopping for a Strat copy, and here we've only SX, Squier and Samick Greg Bennett as the decent budget brands.

I used to have a Squier Bullet, but sold it (plywood body) to get my Samick Avion 3 (love it). I'm plugging in into the VOX AD30vt.

Now, I've tried the SX, but the hardware is too soft for my liking, and the affinity doens't sound right, while the standard squier strat is made of agathis. I've played the Samick Malibu 1, which don't have an alder body (nato) but sounds,looks and plays more solid than the SXs and Squiers. I want something considerably better than the bullet, since i don't want to trade a pebble for another pebble.

I'm considering ordering the Malibu 3 (maple body, DD pups, Wilkinson bridge, and best of all the maple fretboard), without actually playing it (the Samick distributor doesn't carry it, only the Malibu 1), but based on my experience with its lesser sibling, the Malibu 1.

I've came across someone in the forum who has a white Malibu 3 in his sig, a penny for your thoughts and comments.

Thanks for listening. Cheers.

• Members

No help on tha Malibu, but I had a Greg Bennett RW-2 (the explorer type) that absolutely smoked.

Solid, great hardware, duncan-designed pups, perfect binding. Nut was too high, but they always are.

To me, the Samick Bennetts are much better than the squiers. Never played an SX, but if they are a step down from the Agiles, then I would not even bother with them.

Good luck!

• Members

Well, I've got the Malibu 1 (listed as having an alder body on the Greg Bennett/Samick website?) and it's a fine instrument.

One fret needed trimming, but the p/ups sound decent and it's got a very 'stratty' feel to it. I like it quite a bit, and for the $159 I paid I'm very pleased.

HTH,

Larry

• Members

There are a few more "budget" brands out there.

Johnson makes a very decent strat (JS-800) for $119 shipped. I have one of these. Alder body. Very nice.

Here's a deal I spotted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Johnson-Del-Mar-Electric-Guitar-JS-800-CLOSEOUT_W0QQitemZ7362778337QQcategoryZ41437QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also Jay Turser has had some good feedback..

I'd also consider the Kramers.

• Members

Hmmm...their websites contradict each other!

Samick USA

Either way, I like it!

I have a Johnson Tele, also, and it's a nice guitar. Required a bit more fretwork than the Samick (a lot more, actually) and the tuners SUCK, compared to the Grovers on the Samick. Not a bad guitar, mind you, but not quite as nice as the Samick out of the box. OTOH, I only gave $100 total for it in 'like new' condition.

Larry

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Greg Bennett is a great guy, if you email customer service, he usually responds himself in about a day, I've met him a few times, and he said that he usually spends about 4-5 hours a day replying to every email, so I'd go with that guitar.

• Members

^ any feedback on greg bennett series would be welcome...
:)

I have a UM3.

Pound for pound it's an excellent guitar.

Fit and finish is excellent, real Grovers, real Wilkinson bridge.

The only thing that stands out as cheap is the Photo Quilt.

I actually play the UM3 more and like it a bit more than my PRS SE Single Cut.

Archived