Guitars with flags

jedistar

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry but I dont understand putting the Confederate flag on ANYTHING. Do you realize what it is a symbol of? Its the biggest symbol of racism there is. Dont give me the "it represents 'the south'". You live in the United States of America. Not the confederate states.

/rant

• Members

because of what it ACTUALLY represents, not what the IMPLIED representation is.

brief history lesson quoted from a member, then i'm done. OP sorry to have jacked your thread with this idotic bull{censored}. it's paint, wood, plastic and metals. guitars are not thin skinned.

Some people settle for an overly simplistic spin on history because it's too much work to understand the 10 years leading up to the war.

-when the war started, the north had slavery also. It was legal under the 5th amendment to the Constitution, as slaves were considered property. It was even legal in Washington D.C when the war started.

- the Abolitionists were a very small minority in 1860, even in the north.

- Lincoln said in his Inauguration Address, "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." Doesn't sound like he's exactly fighting to abolish slavery. The north was fighting to keep the country from splitting apart. The south was fighting to split it apart.

- Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamations declared the freedom of all slaves in any state of the
Confederate
States of America that did not return to Union control by January 1, 1863.
The proclamation did not free any slaves in any Union state, Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia, or any southern state already under Union control
. Slavery continued to exist until ratification of the 13th Amendment in late 1865. Again, it doesn't sound like the north was in a whole hell of a huge hurry to abolish slavery.

- there were free blacks fighting on the side of the south. Why in the hell would a black man fight for the Confederate states' ability to own slaves? Had to be more to it than just the right to slave ownership.

- So what was the south fighting for if the north was taking their sweet-ass time abolishing slavery? Same {censored} as every other war: MONEY and POWER, which they hid under the term "popular sovereignty". Southerners controlled Congress before this stuff started, and were trying to hold onto some semblance of self-determinant power. By forming their own confederation they could do this. Slaves were
property
to the people who owned them. They were fighting to keep from having to give away
property
without compensation and without having a suitable replacement for a factor of production. Owning slaves was expensive: I'm sure if the machinery existed to replace the work the slaves did then the farmers who kept them would have gotten rid of them like so much obsolete equipment.

Bottom line: it's waaaay more complicated that just "the civil war was fought to end slavery/defend slavery" soundbite so many schools teach nowadays.

The more accurate reason the Confederate flag is reviled nowadays is because white supremacists have made it one of their symbols, along with the Nazi flag. If it was just some modern day Johnny Reb wanting to show his southern pride nobody would give two {censored}s about it.

• Members

The NM flag guitar is hawt; and by the way, the yearbook at New Mexico State University was called "The Swastika" well into the 1970s, at which point the yearbook was discontinued at the premier public university in New Mexico.

Archived