Is this Jazzmaster american Fender?

GurArch

• Members

Hi

I'm about to get an American Vintage Jazzmaster. Not a real oldie, but reissue.

Thought it would complete the guitarsounds I have in homestudio which are mostly Gibsons, acoustic etc.

Heard some good reviews on Jazzmaster.

Found one in a shop, but is uneasy about some facts staring me in the face:

#1. The headstock Fender logo has a feel of amateur remake

And headstock looks like the laquer is really thick, like done an extra layer.

The logo feels like a waterdecal poorly set and laquer after that making a rough feel to it. At little sharp even.

Can this really be genuin american Fender?

Does anything in production come out that way after some years of playing?

#2. The guitar doesn't really sing when striking a chord

I have not owned an american Fender, but a mex Tele I had I remember as better.

Strings were really poor, so the shop is to change strings and I will test it next week again.

I read that the Jazzmaster is not tops when coming to sustain.

Can you compare to a regular Strat in the shop or something, or should it be much less of an acoustic resonance?

Can you give me a hint what to expect?

I don't own any Fender's. I'm a Gibson guy mostly.

#3. The Classic Player series maybe?

How is this in comparison to American Vintage series?

Thanks.

• Members

From my understanding, the reissues have the tremolo moved closer to the bridge and the bridge is fixed not floating like on the originals. I think they still make a American copy that is more original but they cost way more, not sure the price is worth it to you or not. I've played both an original '60's which my friend owns and some of the imports, I really didn't think much was improved with the changes made. For the price I'd buy a good copy if I liked it not a big deal to me if it's MIA or MI.... I think the pups are fine in either not quite as nice sounding as a the P-90's they were trying to copy, if you really want that Fender sound get a Strat or Tele.

• Members

From my understanding, the reissues have the tremolo moved closer to the bridge and the bridge is fixed not floating like on the originals. I think they still make a American copy that is more original but they cost way more, not sure the price is worth it to you or not.

Thanks for commenting.

So if I understand you right, the american reissues have tremolo a bit closer to bridge than copies MI.., that copy the original placement of tremolo?

• Members

Yes, the decal will look like it's on top of the nitro finish for an American. That's they way they were done in the '60s and the reissues look the same. MIJ/M have the decals under the urethane finish.

I have an MIM Classic Player Jag and it's nice for what it is. It's actually one of my favorite guitars now.

• Members

is the Fender logo on top of the finish or underneath? Only the AVRIs and vintage Jazzmasters have logos on top. Id look there first. The avris and CIJ Jazzmasters are awesome! I don't know about other so-called Jazzmasters.

Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure. The feel was that it was lacquer on top of water slide decal, and it was a bit poorly done.

I remember the first time I tried put waterdecals on pedals I did, and transparent lacquer after reacted with plastic in waterdecal and it became a bit rough. That was the feel to it.

I will bring my headset magnifier glass and have a close look next week.

• Members

Yes, the decal will look like it's on top of the nitro finish for an American. That's they way they were done in the '60s and the reissues look the same. MIJ/M have the decals under the urethane finish.

I have an MIM Classic Player Jag and it's nice for what it is. It's actually one of my favorite guitars now.

Excellent, thanks. Then it's quite possible, I guess, that during the years the logo can get a bit damaged on the original.

• Members

I'm not 100% sure. The feel was that it was lacquer on top of water slide decal, and it was a bit poorly done.

I remember the first time I tried put waterdecals on pedals I did, and transparent lacquer after reacted with plastic in waterdecal and it became a bit rough. That was the feel to it.

I will bring my headset magnifier glass and have a close next week.

hmm thats odd. Either its obviously on top or its underneath poly (cij)

• Members
Excellent, thanks. Then it's quite possible, I guess, that during the years the logo can get a bit damaged on the original.

Yes. I have an early 2000 model AVRI Jaguar and part of the F is coming off. I also have a new MIM CP and it's about 6' under the poly resin. :freak:

• Members

here's my 2002 Jag, the decal is crumbling apart.

Interesting.

Does it feel curly too when sliding a finger over it?

Any sharp edges?

That was the case with the guitar in the shop I looked at that made me wonder if neck was original.

Archived