Short shaft pots on an AVRI Strat??

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Hey I bought a 2009 (supposedly) AVRI Hot Rod 62 Strat a little while ago. I bought mine used off ebay and it came with these mint green knobs (which was unusual) so I decided to buy some aged white ones, and when I was changing them, the new knobs wouldn't fit because they were short shaft pots..

Can someone look on theirs to see if their pots are long/regular shaft or short ones? Is it weird that my Hot Rod came with short shaft pots?

• Members

I'm not sure why the shortness of the shaft would make your knobs fit or not fit. Sometimes the diameter of the shaft is different and that can make it so a knob won't fit, but the shortness doesn't do anything as long as there is enough sticking up through the pickguard (which there would have to be anyway in order for you to get the nut on to secure it to the pickguard).

Are the pots made by CTS? If so, then they're probably stock. There are two different shaft lengths for "regular" (as opposed to "long shaft") CTS pots that I know of. I've encountered both on Fender guitars so having one versus the other doesn't really mean much. Actual long shaft pots are a different animal and generally are only used on guitars like Les Pauls where they have to go through thicker sections of wood rather than thin pickguards or control plates.

• Members

Hmm well it's a little shorter and thinner than the pots on my other Strat. It was I guess to skinny then because the knobs kept turning even though the shaft stopped. I put some tissue on the shaft to make it wider and the knob fits now.

• Members

Hmm well it's a little shorter and thinner than the pots on my other Strat. It was I guess to skinny then because the knobs kept turning even though the shaft stopped. I put some tissue on the shaft to make it wider and the knob fits now.

That's quite common. Are they split shaft pots? In other words, is there a slot in the middle of the shaft in the top like this?

yhst-50206111187217_2058_12181957

If so, you can just stick a screwdriver in there and bend the two prongs slightly away from each other and then the knob will fit snugly.

Archived