Gibson Les Paul Heirarchy?

orbm1

• Members

still listed on gibsons site.

the traditional is NOT the classic though. the tradition is an "old" style non chambered standard by the description. the classic was a lower end guitar that was also chambered.

i didn't say the Traditional is the same as the Classic. but the Traditional replaced the Classic as the model below the Standard.

the older Standard isn't on the Gibson site anymore by the way. but they did list it at the same time when they introduced the newer specs but thats probably just to compare specs.

• Members

i didn't say the Traditional is the same as the Classic. but the Traditional replaced the Classic as the model below the Standard.

the older Standard isn't on the Gibson site anymore by the way. but they did list it at the same time when they introduced the newer specs but thats probably just to compare specs.

haha. i was reading down the list on the site... les paul standard plus - $3550.

but.. its an epi. gibsons website needs some quality control. haha :)

• Members

Ok...

It may be a dumb question but I do not know the answer and I cannot find it anywhere...

here it is:

what is the heirarchy with
Gibson Les Pauls
?

You should have known better, asking a question like this.:cop:

• Members

My favorite Les Paul of all the ones I have ever heard or played is the one I currently own- a 1974 Les Paul Deluxe.

IMG_0004-8.jpg

My second favorite Les Paul is owned by Lee Richardson of Charleston, South Carolina. It is a 1958 reissue in cherry red with a Bigsby. When I played that one I knew that if I ever bought a Les Paul I would have to own one I liked as much as Lee's.

My third favorite Les Paul is an eighties Standard owned by Rob Reboso of Bowie, Maryland.

• Members

Customs are supposedly better than Supreme and the rest of the Gibson USA division, because they're built in the Custom Shop.

If you mean "customs" as custom shop then yes. But "Les Paul custom" is a model made by both the USA factory and the Custom Shop. I think the OP is wanting the rankings of the USA factory models. I would suppose everyone would agree that the Custom Shop models are a cut above the USA factory models.

• Members

Thanks guys for all your inputs!

I'll try to share all the info to my friend, hopefully he will accept that my LP custom is "better" than his supreme :cop:...

His Supreme and my Custom sound awesome, but his saying that his is top of the line, and that my custom is below his...

I think a good time to bring a pic of my custom:

PICT0938.jpg

Thanks again!

• Members

I want to get a nice Les Paul (wish the quality was what it used to be)...I wish I could get this green finish here:
MVC-001F.jpg

my god i am druling over that V, is that your collection

anyway idk if there is a heirarchy, the more expensive guitars obviously have more expensive features like nicer finishes, better fretboards, better inlays, bound frets, better pickups etc.

but i think it goes (best to "worst")

Supreme

Custom

Standard

Classic

Studio Plus

Studio

Faded

a pile of {censored}

LP jr.

• Members

still listed on gibsons site.

the traditional is NOT the classic though. the tradition is an "old" style non chambered standard by the description. the classic was a lower end guitar that was also chambered.

hey dude - Know the history of the Classic? it was above the Standard till 2002. And most Classic are not chambered, they are weight relieved like all gibson USA guitars from the early 1980s. Chambered did not come in till October 2007. Insulting the Classic as a low end guitar:thu: best hard rock guitar on the market. You know Class 5 and Supremes are chambered.

Anyway this is the best Les Paul Gibson in my eyes for live playing and I own a few different Gibson Les Paul- I love the gems.

1gemLP.jpg

• Members

i always thought that it went supreme > custom

although i like the custom a lot better. i wouldn't trade mine for anything

CIMG0090-1.jpg

Beautimus:love::love::love::love::love::love:

1. Studio

2. Traditional

3. Standard

4. Classic

5. Supreme

6. Custom ............................IMHO.:thu:

• Members
They are all built the same except the Custom is never weight relieved or chambered. The rest of the differences are either decorative or alternate models of pickups.

I thought all Gibson LP's were weight relieved since after the Norlin era????:confused:

• Members

I thought all Gibson LP's were weight relieved since after the Norlin era????
:confused:

I don't think the Custom is...a Gibson rep told me that "it is the only Les Paul that Gibson refuses to weight relieve" and then I picked one up to feel the difference between it and the Standard that I was holding. I could feel the difference immediately but then again maybe it's just relieved less than the other models(?).

Archived