What do you think of my potential tele build?

David E H

• Members

(Sorry about the enormously large picture area......I'm not good with all the Microsoft Paint formatting and such)

It would be ordered from Warmoth:

-one piece mahogany body with a hand-oiled finish

-maple neck(satin nitro) with rosewood fretboard......maybe SS frets?

-two vintage Fender Wide Ranges(if not now, some time when I can afford them)

-string through the body, with just a standard non-trem deluxe tele bridge

-and for fun I want to go totally overkill with the electronics.....I haven't confirmed what pots and caps I want to put in yet though....

I really like the sounds and vibe of the Tele Deluxe, but I like the look of natural mahogany and a standard tele pickguard and control plate.....I can get the body and neck from Warmoth, but I don't think they do the Wide Range route for a standard tele, so I would have to route it myself. Hopefully that won't be too big of an issue. I would just get the H-H route and then start working around that......the neck pickup would let me get away with a little sloppiness, but the bridge would be some pretty intense cuts....could I hire a luthier to do that for me? Without the vintage pickups it would be under $1000 so that's pretty reasonable.....

It's sort of an unorthodox tele, but it's basically my dream guitar and I'd keep it forever......what do you guys think?

MahoganyTelecasterBuild.jpg

• Members

its basically a telecaster plus with wide range humbuckers then?

zbtelePLUSfront.jpg

Yea, I suppose it's the same, just with a different body wood with a completely different finish

...and different pickups

...and a special route for said pickups

...and no splitter switch on the control plate

...and a rosewood fretboard.

But other than that it's exactly the same as the one pictured :p :poke:

• Members

The only problem I can see - aside from getting vintage WR 'buckers :p - is the bridge pickup. You'd have to get a custom-made pickup ring to mount the WR there, or else a custom pickguard with a little bit of an extension towards the bridge to mount it to.

• Members

The only problem I can see - aside from getting vintage WR 'buckers
:p
- is the bridge pickup. You'd have to get a custom-made pickup ring to mount the WR there, or else a custom pickguard with a little bit of an extension towards the bridge to mount it to.

Yeah, that's what I've seen as the only glitch so far....What would be the best way to go about mounting it? I don't see myself ever changing out the Wide Ranges.....so it would be fairly permanent.....

• Members

(Sorry about the enormously large picture area......I'm not good with all the Microsoft Paint formatting and such)

It would be ordered from Warmoth:

-one piece mahogany body with a hand-oiled finish

-maple neck(satin nitro) with rosewood fretboard......maybe SS frets?

-two vintage Fender Wide Ranges(if not now, some time when I can afford them)

-string through the body, with just a standard non-trem deluxe tele bridge

-and for fun I want to go totally overkill with the electronics.....I haven't confirmed what pots and caps I want to put in yet though....

I really like the sounds and vibe of the Tele Deluxe, but I like the look of natural mahogany and a standard tele pickguard and control plate.....I can get the body and neck from Warmoth, but I don't think they do the Wide Range route for a standard tele, so I would have to route it myself. Hopefully that won't be too big of an issue. I would just get the H-H route and then start working around that......the neck pickup would let me get away with a little sloppiness, but the bridge would be some pretty intense cuts....could I hire a luthier to do that for me? Without the vintage pickups it would be under $1000 so that's pretty reasonable.....

It's sort of an unorthodox tele, but it's basically my dream guitar and I'd keep it forever......what do you guys think?

MahoganyTelecasterBuild.jpg

Ive thought of doing that myself (my main guitar is a tele deluxe ri). However, the mahogany will make it much darker sounding I believe, though.

• Members

Ive thought of doing that myself (my main guitar is a tele deluxe ri). However, the mahogany will make it much darker sounding I believe, though.

Yeah, I'm good with dark:thu:

I have my Strat which will get me my cleans, and then this Tele will bring some dark, punk-sounding distortion......and I think it'll have some pretty rich cleans. I'm going to put 1Meg pots in it like the original '72 deluxe.

• Members

Yeah, I'm good with dark:thu:

I have my Strat which will get me my cleans, and then this Tele will bring some dark, punk-sounding distortion......and I think it'll have some pretty rich cleans. I'm going to put 1Meg pots in it like the original '72 deluxe.

Yeah i did the same on mine. I really love it.

• Members

Yeah, that's what I've seen as the only glitch so far....What would be the best way to go about mounting it? I don't see myself ever changing out the Wide Ranges.....so it would be fairly permanent.....

I figure either:

a) get a custom pickguard that stretches down to the bridge WR, which does kinda lose part of the original idea of a standard Tele 'guard

b) get a custom-made pickup ring to fit around the WR. Because it doesn't need to be mounted above the surface of the guitar, you could always just get a blank pickguard sheet and cut it out of that.

• Members

Forget the wide-range humbuckers unless you have a couple old stock ones from the '70s. The current wide-range humbuckers are Fender Atomic humbuckers in the wide-range casing and they're EXPENSIVE.

What I'd do is get yourself a pair of humbuckers custom-made by Bryan at BG-Pups.com. This way you can nail the tone you want without any compromises.

• Members

Very cool. Was the overall tonal difference significant? Is there any reason to get pots other than 1MEG?

they come with 250 i think? which really strangle it. The pickups are kind of dark, so the 1 megs really open them up. I think the pickups are great. Ive played a couple originals and though they are cool, for my style of music, the new ones fit much better. The older ones are looser, warmer and more fuzzy. Cool if youre going for that sound.

• Members

Well, GilmourD and spoonie g.....I might start out with some BG pickups and see how I like them....I've been thinking that for a while, I just haven't specifically mentioned it. I'll have to talk to Bryan when he gets back home.

.....and can anyone confirm if this is string-through the body?

http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/chhubrforteg.html

• Members

Well, GilmourD and spoonie g.....I might start out with some BG pickups and see how I like them....I've been thinking that for a while, I just haven't specifically mentioned it. I'll have to talk to Bryan when he gets back home.

.....and can anyone confirm if this is string-through the body?

cool man. let us know your progress and/or end result. im trying to decide what im going to put together for a frankenstein tele myself.

Archived