How often do you change your strings?

dennis138

• Members

On the short end, 9 months to a year. I've left strings on guitars for 2 years. I have too many electrics, no way am I changing them once a month or something crazy like that. I'm good at wiping them with alcohal after playing. If they do get crusty - which will happen in the summer - I'll take some #320 grit sandpaper and run it up & down the (unwound) strings.

Although a sure sign for me to change them is when they get that warbling sound, when playing high up on the high E string. Totally annoying.

• Members

i had a set of strings on an acoustic for i don't know how long. 6 months at least. they went dead, then they started getting character. not really sure how to describe it, but they got rich tonally. i finally put on some new strings, and it sounded horrible. loud and sucky.

• Members

I am very, very lazy about this, but I am quite diligent about cleaning the strings after playing.

I've actually got one guitar that's had the same strings on since last February, so about 16 months. It's just recently strayed into the real of the un-tuneable, but I used it on a recording project just three months ago and it still sounded great.

I also find I have different preferences depending on the guitar; really like to have quite zingy strings on single coil guitars, less so on humbuckers.

• Members

I bought my jem a year and half ago and still has factory strings. Strings only get rusty if I don't play the guitar often.

But I have a couple friends that oxidate them within 5 minutes of playin, those are the ones I hate handing my guitar to.

On my classical the bass ones would last for a couple weeks, then I tried Thomastick N and they still new after 2 years.

Archived