SG

Crisco

• Members
LOL.

It was dark

I knew I should've put 'It's not actually this yellow'

The joy of digital photography -- even the cheapest camera (even my cell phone) usually allows you to adjust the white balance. No more excuses! RTFM!

On topic -- that's a beauty. :thu:

• Members

I don't understand the fine-tuning tailpiece. :idk: I didn't think it'd make a difference since there's no locking nut.. or maybe if you had locking tuners? :idea:

Sweet SG, though. I'm going to drill a hole in the upper horn's point, so I can move the strap peg. I'm tired of my G400 always neck-diving. :mad:

• Members
I don't understand the fine-tuning tailpiece.
:idk:
I didn't think it'd make a difference since there's no locking nut.. or maybe if you had locking tuners?
:idea:

Sweet SG, though. I'm going to drill a hole in the upper horn's point, so I can move the strap peg. I'm tired of my G400 always neck-diving.
:mad:

Thanks.
It does have locking tuners.
100_1522.jpg
I had a bit of work done while setting it up for a 2nd time. It had issues that were finally resolved. The TP-6 is because I overshoot in tuning and it saves my ass.
Go with a wide cowhide strap and your neckdiving issue will be a thing of the past.
This is more of the real color but the toggle cap changed color after a recent rewiring.
100_1525.jpg

• Members

Sweet looker, but some other colored pup rings would remove that "trashy mod" look from it compoletely.

I've recently considered removing one of the pickups and getting a '66 pickguard to cover the entire front, eliminating the rings altogether. Pearloid would look cool maybe, but then solid black is an option too.

Will i do it? I just don't know. I'd have to rewire the thing again.

Maybe removing the gold cover from that '57 on the neck would help?

• Members

I'd say look for white pup rings, all gold covers, or bolting the pickups ring-free to the body.

'66 guard may work, but small guards are my favorite. XD

It would look like ass without the pickup rings (if you keep the small guard)

I wonder though, if you decide to go with the large guard....

Is the spacing between the neck and bridge pups the same as a large guard SG? Just something to consider.

• Members
I'd say look for white pup rings, all gold covers, or bolting the pickups ring-free to the body.

:eek:
Yeee-k.
I think I'll leave well enough alone.
Gotta play the trailer park on july 4th so it'll fit right in!

• Members
g400custom_02.jpg

That's what mine looks like. It's a mud monster, I'll have to replace the pickups one day.

Beautiful stock look my man. Maybe just turn the first two back a bit and let the bridge pickup do it's work. That's actually the one I put in the neck cause it wasn't muddy and had a rating of 13.5 that could keep up with the Duncan Distortion set.
If you take them out they should be '57s (335/LP neck & mid / HOTCH '57 bridge)
the only known Epiphone '57 pickups known to exist, because they are no longer making them. Now they are Alnico V Classic and Alnico V Classic Plus

• Members

For God's sake, don't convert it to a two pickup SG! The 3 pickup setup on your guitar is what makes it so much more unique and classy than the standard SG. You should, however, remove that neck pickup cover - that will help it, from a cosmetic perspective.

As far as the fine tuning tailpiece, I love these things. They make very minor & precise adjustments a snap...far easier than when using the headstock tuners. And resting your hand on the bridge shouldn't cause any tuning problems - the tuners are on the tailpiece, not the bridge. The fine tuners also are not affected by accidentally brushing over them, you have to exert a concerted amount of pressure to move them.

Congrats on a cool guitar. I had a chance to buy a mint Gibson SG that looked exactly the same in the late 80's. Asking price was only $700 (Gibsons were not very expensive back then). I still regret not picking it up, even though I'm not really an SG guy.

• Members

Beautiful stock look my man. Maybe just turn the first two back a bit and let the bridge pickup do it's work. That's actually the one I put in the neck cause it wasn't muddy and had a rating of 13.5 that could keep up with the Duncan Distortion set.

the only known Epiphone '57 pickups known to exist, because they are no longer making them. Now they are Alnico V Classic and Alnico V Classic Plus

Actually, the epi '57s are what my vintage G-400, in brown(2007), and in red with neck binding(90's?) both had.

• Members

I have lowered them, but somehow it's still pretty muddy compared to my other guitars. Mine's a 2007 MIC model and it has AlNiCo 5 pickups, 2 x ERPPU-107, 1 x ERPPU-106. Maybe I'm not used to high output pickups anymore :)

g400custom_04.jpg

• Members

OK I see. Mine are a different set altogether. My Custom was built in Korea in January 2006/Saein(I)
I bet you have better hardware on yours than I got on mine.
The Tuners, bridge, nut and tailpiece were all replaced within 4 months of buying it.
It had all sorts of trouble due to the junk rattly bridge and Grover tuners that slipped like mad.
I don't have any trouble from my EE serialed LP from 2007/
It is remarkably an 'I need nothing' guitar that just got its new pickups and little else.
( The Unsung Korea built Firebird is remarkable as well. just pickups and a tailpiece added)
So little to say the SG Custom required most of the work.
I notice that Saein (I) no longer builds OEM Epiphones.

• Members
I have a cheapie Epi G400 and I'm extremely happy with it!

Plays great. Looks great. Sounds great. Stays in tune for days.

And it's not too neck heavy.

DSC_0004.jpg

Yeah we all know that you sound great with Epi's, but I am of the opinion that you can make just about anything sound great. :thu:

Archived