not getting any sound out of the neck pickup on my tele

hondro

• Members

I recently replaced the pickguard on my tele, and ever since I changed it back, I havent been able to get any sound out of the neck pickup. I'm guessing a wire got itself undone, but under inspection I'm not seeing anything wrong.

I tried to get some macro shots, but I couldn't figure out how to on this camera (Casio Exilim EX-Z60)

CIMG2233.jpg

CIMG2235.jpg

CIMG2236.jpg

CIMG2237.jpg

• Members

I would imagine the problem would e either at the neck pickup, or where the neck pickup wires meet the switch. I'm guessing it got pulled a little too hard when either taking off the old or putting on the new pickguard and now the wire is shorting out

• Members

We're waiting to hear about the volume . .......?

Seriously, sounds like you're on the right track - you may need someone with a little electronics know-how to trace the wiring with a meter. Also, the connection where the pickup lead joins the winding, (your last two pictures), is pretty fragile. If those wires got pushed or pulled much your problem could be there. Also, it looks like there's quite a bit of bare wire at that joint that may need to be checked - you can't have the black and white wires touching each other or any metal such as pickup cover.

• Members

well after taking it to my tech, we've decided that it is dead. Must be a broken winding somewhere

I just e-mailed Callaham (the store where I got the pickup) about my options but I don't know what will happen. I really don't want to spend another 80 bucks on a new pickup...

• Members

Did the tech check the winding wire where it come out of the coil, or just check from the pickup lead. If the break is in the exposed section of winding wire ( possibly from jiggling the wire) that ought to be fixable. If it's up inside the coil that may be a lost cause. Although, if it was an expensive pup I'd probably try to pull the cover and check, just on the chance that the break might be on an outside winding, and could still be fixable.

Archived