PAF Pro really low output in the neck?

Soeru

• Members

I wired up my guitar with a dimarzio tonezone and paf pro(both f-spaced) in the bridge and neck respectively, as for a while I only had the PAF pro in the bridge and nothing in the neck position.

I've noticed that there's a HUGE output difference between the two when I switch to the neck position, I mean a HUGE volume/output drop, the paf sounds incredibly weak and quiet, making pickup switching in a song totally unusable. The PAF pro was pretty loud in the bridge pickup, and the TZ/Paf Pro is a commonly used pickup combo, what gives? Does anyone else have this problem with the same pickups? What could I have done wrong with my wiring? Does the fact that the PAF pro is F-spaced and in the neck position have anything to do with it(the hex poles don't line up with the strings)?

My wiring is pretty much perfect, no grounding issues either, the 3 pots in my guitar are all 500k(pickups go to individual volume pots, to switch, then to a master tone control hooked up to the output jack).

• Members

They are leveled. Also tried putting the paf much closer to the strings and the TZ really far away, didn't improve much. The volume pot for the PAF is a cheapo brand while the one for the TZ is a CTS, maybe that has something to do with it? I had another look at all my soldering points and they're clean.

• Members

I know you say your wiring is perfect, so my story might not help you but FWIW:

I've had the same problem wiring a HB into a guitar and it turned out to be a poor solder joint. I re-did the soldering and everything ended up fine. Hopefully its something as easy as that (i.e. not a broken wire in the pup or something)

Archived