What to do with $1500

zbasstringer

• Members

A kick mic, snare mic and one or two overheads are about the minimum. The simpler the easier to mix. Though close mics on each drum and cymbal as well as overheads has it's appeal.

I did a review of the Zoom H4n, which lets you record 4 channels at once, it;s at the website in my sig. That worked out ok for spot recording with the zooms mics for the overhead and a snare and kick mic - then mixed on the computer. Not ideal for recording where you want to play along with other tracks - though it does have a click track which is useful.

yeah, i was thinking of going with a 4 channel mixer, recording straight into the computer, then mixing the parts in there.

• Members

yeah, i was thinking of going with a 4 channel mixer, recording straight into the computer, then mixing the parts in there.

The H4n is a little pricey at about $350, but it really works well, I'm glad I got one. After that you're looking at a Pro tools rig, or the like. Then mics and cables and all that. On it's own it will do an ok job recording just about anything, and it does do 4 channel, and 4 track recording as well as being able to do 24/96bit stereo. I sprung for a 16gb SDHC card for it and it can do several hours of recording with that and hundreds of hours in mp3 mode.

I like it.

A 4 channel mixer might not have 4 independent channels for independent recording. But you can always wing it and mix the mixer channels down to stereo by trial and error.

Archived