Any Charvel San Dimas or So-Cal owners out there?

mike moriarty

• Members

I've been thinking about picking up either one of the new So-Cal or a San Dimas Charvels but I would like to know a little more about them before I pull the trigger. I was hoping someone here could give me some more info on them. Particularly on how the necks feel. Do they feel more like Fenders or like Jacksons? Im hoping they feel like Fenders. I love the way Fenders play but I need high output pups and a floyd. Also, what is a better pickup for heavy stuff, the JB or the Tone Zone?

• Members

Sorry to direct you elsewhere but can I recommend the JCFonline forum on USA Charvels. There's plenty of discussion about the USA pros on this forum at the moment (sometimes heated because some of the custom shop purists don't like the fact that these production guitars are so good). As such, there are a number of ongoing threads that you'll find very useful:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

• Members

Sorry to direct you elsewhere but can I recommend the JCFonline forum on USA Charvels. There's plenty of discussion about the USA pros on this forum at the moment (sometimes heated because some of the custom shop purists don't like the fact that these production guitars are so good). As such, there are a number of ongoing threads that you'll find very useful:

There is also some very biased posting by Charvel dealers over there too.

They are very good guitars, but I think for the price they're asking it should come with hard case and a 'real' German Floyd Rose bridge.

For around $800 (new) or so they're a great guitar, but I'd never pay $1000 or more for what it is....

• Members

I've got one of each, a San Dimas 1 and a SoCal. The necks feel kinda in between a Jackson and a Fender. Slightly thinner than a Fender, and slightly thicker than a Jackson. I myself love the neck.

The Tone Zone is more of a smooth pickup where the mids and lower ends are boosted. The JB is much brighter. I like both, but if I had to pick one it would be the SoCal.

Overall I think you will be satisfied with either the SoCal or the SanDimas if you choose to get one.

• Members

This is why I don't, and won't, own one.. Charvel dropped the ball on this one..

I really cant see where the floyds are being manufactuered to be much of an issue :idk:

Im sure they are still the same quality componenets, just Charvel is spending less to make them.

• Members

I really cant see where the floyds are being manufactuered to be much of an issue
:idk:
Im sure they are still the same quality componenets, just Charvel is spending less to make them.

It is also a matter of principle. If you're charging $1100 for guitar like this, you probably shouldn't cut corners by using a Korean bridge. The Kramer that someone else suggested is about the same price, has about the same features, and comes with a hard case and 'real' Floyd.

Whether the Korean Floyd is as good as the 'real thing' has been debated before, but if they really are the same, why is Floyd still making an expensive German version?

And Charvel is not the only one doing this. My Gibson Custom Shop Axcess also came with the Korean Floyd, which is even more inexcusable...

• Members

It is also a matter of principle. If you're charging $1100 for guitar like this, you probably shouldn't cut corners by using a Korean bridge. The Kramer that someone else suggested is about the same price, has about the same features, and comes with a hard case and 'real' Floyd.

Whether the Korean Floyd is as good as the 'real thing' has been debated before, but if they really are the same, why is Floyd still making an expensive German version?

And Charvel is not the only one doing this. My Gibson Custom Shop Axcess also came with the Korean Floyd, which is even more inexcusable...

This one gets it too..

Archived