Oschar Schmidt Delta King owners?

David E H

• Members

I just got to finalize on an Delta King for $30 on Craigslist. I'm going to be picking it up tomorrow, but here's a picture I have of it:

PICT0030.jpg

It's pretty beat up, and I'll have to reinstall the pickups, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was plywood or not? The manufacturer specs say maple body and mahogany neck, but you can never know for sure. I was thinking about refinishing it if looks really bad in person, unless anyone has any better ideas.

• Members

Yeah, it's probably plywood. Mine felt great... and I was able to get it set up to play like a million bucks, but I just have never got on with 335-sized guitars so I sold it.

It did have VERY hot pickups... I'd say JB-class hot. They didn't really sound bad, but they didn't sound like a 335 should sound.

I sold it to a guy that is a great player in a hot local country band and he played it through a little Gibson tube amp and he made it sound GREAT!

• Members

Alright...I just got it. It's pretty beat up, but it's got potential. The action on it right now is terrible though...I've gotta figure out what I want to do about that. I'll probably start with the truss rod, and then check out the neck pocket.

DSC00764.jpgDSC00765.jpgDSC00766.jpg

• Members

Hope it works out for you. I was able to get one of the best set up ever on mine with little work. It had one slightly high fret. Other than that, set up was golden. Of course, with cheapies, you never know.

HNGDG3.jpg

• Members

shim the neck and maybe istall some nice duncans in it.

Don't be surprised if the pots and switch are crap.

Yeah, I'm messing with it right now....and it's definitely going to need a lot of shimming.

And guess what? There's 6 BB pellets lodged in the back! I'm going to do my best with this guitar, but I guess for $30 I should have expected it. It's at least worth it for parts though.

• Members

Okay, here's a question. I just took out the pots but they're still connected to the bridge. There's probably a total of 10 wires connected to the bridge. Is that normal/necessary? Can't I just ground to bridge with just one wire?

• Members

Okay, here's a question. I just took out the pots but they're still connected to the bridge. There's probably a total of 10 wires connected to the bridge. Is that normal/necessary? Can't I just ground to bridge with just one wire?

Look, er feel carefully (dental mirrors are helpful when you are doing work on semi-hollows). Are you SURE all the wires are connected to the bridge? The stock harness has wire holder adhered to the inside of the top which hold all the wires so that they aren't visible in the f-holes. Once you figure out how to release the wires, the holders are bent metal, I think you will find that there is only one ground wire attached at the bridge.

• Members

Look, er feel carefully (dental mirrors are helpful when you are doing work on semi-hollows). Are you SURE all the wires are connected to the bridge? The stock harness has wire holder adhered to the inside of the top which hold all the wires so that they aren't visible in the f-holes. Once you figure out how to release the wires, the holders are bent metal, I think you will find that there is only one ground wire attached at the bridge.

Yeah, that turned out to be the case. I feel really stupid now, but I could not figure out how all the wires were together! Everything is cleaned out now, and actually the electronics are better than I expected. A heavy duty switch, full size pots, and Washburn pickups.

My next problem to overcome is that whatever idiot ruined this guitar, did so quite well. There are miniscule lead wires on the humbuckers. On one of them, there's only one wire. I opened it up, and it's still hidden. So it may just be worth it to buy some new GFS pups, and then give these to my friend who's learning how to wind pickups. Grrrr.....frustrates me though!:mad:

Oh yeah, and the shim was successful.

Archived