need help with intonation on a strat

green2

• Members

:confused:i can't get the low e string intonated on my fender strat. the fretted note is sharp. the neck is properly adjusted. it doesn't matter what strings i use. the bridge is level. the action is medium. the problem is i have lengthened the string length by moving the saddle as far back as it will go and the string remains sharp. this is driving me crazy b/c i have never had any problem intonated any of my other guitars (i've been doing this for 20yrs!). what could possibly be the problem? thanks in advance for any feedback

• Members

the strat is an american fat texas special from 2002? i bought it used - it is in excellent condition. the strings i use are standard 10-46 gauge. i am not sure about the type of bridge (i think its a standard usa tremolo)?)

• Members

they are jumbo frets, and your right that they tend to "sharpen" notes when fretted. i understand what you are saying about the tuner and the harmonic, but seriously it doesn't matter. i've started over several times - this has been a problem for a few years!!! my ears tell me it is sharp - when i am playing chords below the 4th fret it sounds fine, but when i hit notes higher up the fretboard, the low e string is sharp. my tuner says it is sharp about an 1/5 of a semitone.

• Members

thanks for the help. i certainly will try everyones suggestions, but i'm fairly certain there is some other problem, although everything looks good visually. when I get the chance i will post photos to illustrate what is going on.

• Members

I had that same problem. It turned out that the low E was intonated fine. The problem was that I tuned the strings from the highest to the lowest - which, on a Strat with a tremolo, causes each string to go incrementally flat as the next one is tuned. So by the time I got to the low E, the high strings were flat in relation to it.

I solved the problem by tuning from the high strings to the low strings, and then back to the highs again.

Archived