Do Ernie Ball strings just have short life-span?

ten56gibby

• Members

To me Daddarios seem brighter out of the box but last a little longer than EBs. I guess everyone has their own ear. EBs (green) are still my top choice though. They're what I'm used to. I buy the 10 packs for 30 bucks or whatever.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What fun! This is like watching a debate between the Hatfields and the McCoys :) I started playing E.Balls. Used to get 3-for-1 deals on Peavey strings and then went on to Boomers for a short time before using Blue Steels for many years.

Tried Gibson strings when they first came out-those lasted about 2 days per pack. Got a lot of sets of Ampeg strings for $1 a pack that were promotional leftovers. Back to Blue Steels. Stopped using them when they changed the packaging. The strings felt different.

Tried SITs because the factory installed strings played great, but the ones I bought retail always snapped! Went back to E.Balls. Played Charlie Stringer strings (Snarling Dogs) until Charlie bit the big one in the tailpipe.

Then played D'Addarios for a season. Then I found Cleartones. They are made by Everly, but have D'Add color coated ball ends. They are more expensive but they last me 2 months vs. 3 weeks.

Tried the new coated Balls and they play good while costing about 1/3 less then Cleartones.

So whatever is in the toolbox or the case is what goes on the guitar.

P.S.

I hate strings made in China. Bought a set of double balled strings for my Steinberger that have come in b&w packaging. Saw the country of origin and am having a hard time deciding to use them.

• Members

how do you stretch them ? You could be over stretching. There's no need to stretch them more than a couple of times and then let them snap back a couple of times. Overstretching stresses them unduly.

BUT most likely its the guitar or your technique thats breaking them.

I never break strings, ever. I use D'Addario 10-46 or Snake Oils.

• Members

Broken strings are usually a saddle problem or Floyd Rose operator errors. I haven't had any EB problems but the D'Addario's seem to last longer. I purchase what ever the best deal on cases are. Last time it was EB by the case. Buy 10 for $34.00 get 2 packs free.

• Members

There doesn't seem to be much interest in GHS here, does there?

I had used D'Addario for decades because they had a good selection (when I started) but I'm wondering whether there's something I'd like better. Like smoother feel and long life -- I never change strings -- the strings on my Jazzmaster hit 30 years old at one point.

I just want them to sound melodic, that's all.

T

• Members

There doesn't seem to be much interest in GHS here, does there?

I had used D'Addario for decades because they had a good selection (when I started) but I'm wondering whether there's something I'd like better. Like smoother feel and long life -- I never change strings -- the strings on my Jazzmaster hit 30 years old at one point.

I just want them to sound melodic, that's all.

T

I used boomers for about 10 years but then I moved and couldn't get them so I've been using D'Addario ever since.

Archived