I'm thinking of doing a GFS Kit build.

Blackhell

• Members

I want to do the V in the worst way, because 1) The RR V shape is my favorite guitar shape, and 2) It's got what I want which is a Floyd Rose, humbuckers, and 24 frets. I never did a build, but it seems fairly easy, and it's a bolt-on neck. My uncle can help me with this, because he knows how to solder, and do all the measurements (for the FR posts to make sure there exactly right). I don't even know how I'm gonna paint this. I'll have to see it, and decide if the grain would look nice with a stain. I can buy a bunch of books from Amazon and what not, and I'll get a new pickup for it (probably a GFS VEH), and throw the bridge PU from the kit in my LP.

What's your 2 cents guys?

• Members

I say do it, but replace the FR that comes with the kit asap.

I was thinking that. I'd get the $75 one that GF has.

Okay, I want some feedback on some options for a finish. I'm a HUGE EVH fan, and I was liked the whole stripes thing. If I go and copy an Eddie paint job it would either be the Black and White or the bumblebee one. I was also thinking of a black with green, or a black with orange. I'd also do the headstock the same as the body, and I'd have my initials on the headstock like a brand name. It can't be too complicated, because I'm not an artist with paint.:lol:

• Members

Now were talking
:thu:
silverburst is one of my all time favorite finishes.

Same here. What kinda paint should I use? I was originally thinking of spray paint, but I figured that it wouldn't last as long as say a nicer brand or type of paint. I can get the black burst stuff from Stew-Mac.

• Members

Same here. What kinda paint should I use? I was originally thinking of spray paint, but I figured that it wouldn't last as long as say a nicer brand or type of paint. I can get the black burst stuff from Stew-Mac.

Imo get some lacquer, but idk much about paint.

• Members

i say go for it...

on the finish, i've done both the burst and the VH paint jobs...

the burst i did required an airbrush, the VH paint job required a ton of tape and a lot of time...

but as far as the kit goes, do it, post a thread with lots of pics.

many people here can help and are willing to answer questions...

but most of all have fun and learn something from it... :thu:

• Members

i say go for it...

on the finish, i've done both the burst and the VH paint jobs...

the burst i did required an airbrush, the VH paint job required a ton of tape and a lot of time...

but as far as the kit goes, do it, post a thread with lots of pics.

many people here can help and are willing to answer questions...

but most of all have fun and learn something from it...
:thu:

What brand would you recommend for a burst cause, I'm starting to like the idea of a burst.

Archived