Game dev 3D Realms closing down....

Phait

• Members

Unfrickenbelievable. I visit their forums everyday.

For some of you familiar with games the past 20 years, you'll know 3DR. http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=58519

THis sucks cause they have one of my most favorite forums.

A very reliable source close to Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms today confirmed to Shacknews that the company has been shut down.

The closure came about as a result of funding issues, our source explained, with the shut down said to affect both 3D Realms and the recently resurrected Apogee name. Employees of both entities have already been let go.

Phone calls and e-mails to various 3D Realms veterans have thus far gone unanswered, with publishing partner Take-Two likewise unavailable for comment.

3D Realms was founded in 1987 by Scott Miller and George Broussard, and was best known for its Duke Nukem series of shooters starring the titular, bubblegum-lacking hero. The studio had infamously been working on Duke Nukem Forever, the next flagship franchise entry, for the past 13 years. A final push to release Duke Nukem Forever began in 2007, marked by a short teaser starring the in-game hero that was released late that year.

As recent as January 2009, company steward George Broussard wrote on his Twitter feed that he was visiting Take-Two to show off the title.

I talked to a forum member just minutes ago who said he chatted with another member who was talking with the moderator, saying that since the server was busy and there was a thread about them closing, he'd have a mess to clean up. The moderator replied, "I may not have to clean it up". :(

• Members

Vaporware doesn't pay the bills. I remember playing the old Duke side-scrollers in the early shareware days, and spent many lunch breaks playing Duke 3D against my co-workers, but DNF dropped off my radar a long time ago. The current generation of young gamers probably has never played ANY of the Duke games, and it would take something pretty amazing for them to care.

• Members

And the teaser they showed earlier this year or late last year was severely lacking any kind of 'Wow!' factor. It looked like something that was produced years ago with outdated graphics tech (not far outdated, but even a couple years old in the 3D game realm is too far...)

Archived