Tele Neck pup: GFS Vintage Split Humbucker or Alnico Fatbody

wagdog

• Members

I'm going to mod my sons Xaviere 820 tele.

At this point the gutiar has a SD hot rails for tele in the bridge, which is a really hot, fire breathing, LOUD pickup and the stock neck pickup, which is my opinion is pretty dull and lifeless and most definitely doesn't come close to the output or tone of the SD in the bridge.

I'm thinking if either going with a new pickguard and the GFS Vintage Split Humbucker:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/visphuclfest.html

yhst-50206111187217_2066_27204535.jpg

for a tele deluxe look and feel - however I'm unfamiliar with this pickup and haven't heard much about it.

OR - I'm thinking of going with the Alnico Fatbody w/Oversized Polepieces:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfaovpotene.html

yhst-50206111187217_2066_18983334.jpg

which seems to get pretty good reviews here. I'm concerned though that it won't match the output with the bridge. Thoughts on this?

The other thought I had was going with one of the GFS VEH pickups in the neck, but again they don't seem to get much mention here, and when they do it's the bridge pickup.

So here's what I'm after: I'd like something that matches the output of the SD hot rails in the bridge AND has a decent deep tone that isn't mushy or muddy.

Any input appreciated.

• Members

I tried the GFS Vintage Split, and it was okay, but after replacing it with the Fatbody I never looked back. It's probably my favorite GFS pickup, and I've tried a bunch.

It reminds me of a really nice Strat neck/pup with balls.........

As for how it will match up with the bridge pickup, I've no experience with the hot rails.......I'm using the matching overwound Fatbody in the bridge.

• Members

I've got one that looks identical to the one you're showing.

I got it from my son & he said it's got a fat warm tone.

There are no identifing marks or writing on it anywhere, I've been wondering whos product it is.

I'm thinking of trying it on the neck of my jackson bodied superstrat.

showtell16.jpg

showtell15.jpg

Archived