Hamer Posse Unite!

Reasonable Man

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the used Hamer Artist that the local GC had on sale back in December. I played it for awhile while the salesguy was looking for a case for the Guild Blues 90 I was buying; I almost ditched the Guild and bought the Hamer. They wanted $600 for it.

• Members

Originally posted by jeffcoop

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the used Hamer Artist that the local GC had on sale back in December. I played it for awhile while the salesguy was looking for a case for the Guild Blues 90 I was buying; I almost ditched the Guild and bought the Hamer. They wanted $600 for it.

600 for a US hamer!

:eek:

And you bought a guild!

:(

• Members

Originally posted by dewees

I have a Monaco Superpro that's just one of the best guitars I've ever laid hands on. I'm waiting for a Monaco III to turn up used.

Yes, awesome guitar!!! So good that Gibson copied it and called it the Cloud 9 and now sell it for double what Hamer sells it for.

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

Yes, awesome guitar!!! So good that Gibson copied it and called it the Cloud 9 and now sell it for double what Hamer sells it for.

I believe that Gibson made a custom ordered chambered guitar for a a gentleman named Tom Ivory, and that was what inspired the Cloud 9. Toms back is really messed up so most of his guitars are custom ordered with weight restrictions. Apparently they liked what they heard and decided to make a run of it.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

I believe that Gibson made a custom ordered chambered guitar for a a gentleman named Tom Ivory, and that was what inspired the Cloud 9. Toms back is really messed up so most of his guitars are custom ordered with weight restrictions.

Not sure Dan, I knew the Superpro was out several years ago and last year all the yack started about the Cloud 9 :confused: The funny thing was all the guys running out spending $5000 for a Cloud 9 thinking it was going to sound like a LP, no way. Not even close in my opinion, just like a chambered Suhr does not cut it imo for 80s shred tone.

• Members

Finally got my first Hamer: Picked up a used Artist Korina P90 (semi-hollow) for $899 at a local shop. Couldn't put the thing down when I tried it out at the store, plugged into a Laney LC50-II amp like the one I have at home. Love the tonal range and sweet sounds you can get from one of these, but the best part IMO is the neck & fretboard - smooth as glass to play. Almost feels like cheating, so I alternate between the Artist and my "tougher" ASAT Special to keep things honest. Kudos to the folks back east for putting these instruments out there!

• Members

Originally posted by Digital Jams

Not sure Dan, I knew the Superpro was out several years ago and last year all the yack started about the Cloud 9
:confused:
The funny thing was all the guys running out spending $5000 for a Cloud 9 thinking it was going to sound like a LP, no way. Not even close in my opinion, just like a chambered Suhr does not cut it imo for 80s shred tone.

Chambering really changes the sound of a guitar drastically. I like it on some axes, and not so much on others.

I know the Hamer was out first, but I dont think the Gibson was really put out to compete with it.

Heres a excerpt from Tom on another board"as for the cloud 9...yes. it is heavily chambered and as i understand it was modeled after the routing on the johnnie "a". i'm particularly proud of that guitar because it happened it part because of me. i have significant physical problems and i ordered a murphy 59 re-issue les paul through dave carpenter of music machine with a weight restriction of 8.0lbs. the custom shop accepted the order and built 2 les pauls both of which exceeded the 8lbs. they are floating around in circulation and can be distinguished by the fact that i ordered them with a stinger on the back of the headstock. anyway, rather than giving up, dave (the guy is the greatest guy in the world and put his heart and soul into this effort) explained to the "boys" my long standing love of gibson guitars and my life long personal struggle resulting in a reconstructed back/spine and they agreed to build a chambered 59. what they didn't realize is that it would sound so good that 3 of their biggest dealers would request a limited run. the rest is history as they say. "

• Members

Originally posted by Reasonable Man

600 for a US hamer!

And you bought a guild!

:(

Hey! Nothing wrong with Guild (at least not before Fender closed the Westerly factory and started hacking away at the product line). My Blues 90 is more playable and more acoustically resonant than the Gibson '56 Cloud 9 I bought in April. Once I swap out the Guild's super-hot P-90s for something a little more vintagy, the Gibson's going on the block.

But yeah, $600 for a Hamer Artist.... I went back for it a couple of days later, but of course it was gone by then. :(

Archived